• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dust Free Hay - Delivery Problems

How would you prefer your Dust Free Hay delivery to be made

• Happy to be left at my premises only with a signature

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Happy to be left at my premises without a signature

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Happy to be left with neighbour or in outhouse etc

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Only to be left if weather is dry

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Happy to be left in all weathers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please comment)

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
Having read a few threads over the months and talking with others I noticed a few of you have had problems with your Dust Free Hay deliveries, mainly not getting a signature on delivery or it being left outside in the rain.

We saw Norman on Friday and mentioned this to him and we spoke again today about possible ways to solve the problem.

I said to Norman I would pop a poll up on here to see what peoples general preference/thoughts were and then feed the results back to him.

Hopefully this will go some way to help with any problems you may have been having.

The number of problems are minimal in comparison to the number of deliveries carried out but obviously the company would like to improve this if at all possible.

One thing to help is that a label will be placed on the delivery from now on to state that it is to be kept dry. - this should hopefully alert the driver not to leave it out in the rain The problem is if people are at work and happy to have their delivery left without a signature, it could be lovely at 10am, but by 5pm when they get home it could have then been raining for a couple of hours.

Last edited:
I had a delivery left out in absolute torrential rain last week. It's the second time it's happened to me (and I've only had two deliveries from them).

Last time I asked when I ordered for the hay to be left in the shed, which it wasn't, it was left outside the back door but luckily it was a nice day. This time I forgot so they should have taken it back and left a card but they didn't. I did email the day after asking if it could be left in the shed but didn't receive any acknowledgement, and when I emailed Norman to let him know the hay had been left outside in the rain and that I'd emailed later, he said he'd not seen the email until after despatch, which is fair enough, but that means they shouldn't have left it anyway.

Other companies have always left deliveries in the shed if I've asked for it, and if they did this I'd be happy, but not sure I'll risk paying £25.99 again if they're going to leave it outside.

thats the thing, norman says they will not leave unless instructed. I left no instructions so it dhould have been taken back x

thats the thing, norman says they will not leave unless instructed. I left no instructions so it dhould have been taken back x

That's what he told me when I emailed last week - the email I sent was too late so there weren't instructions so they should have taken it back.

The first time there were istructions to leave it in the shed, but they just left it outside the back door, so both times they didn't do what they were asked to do.

That's what he told me when I emailed last week - the email I sent was too late so there weren't instructions so they should have taken it back.

The first time there were istructions to leave it in the shed, but they just left it outside the back door, so both times they didn't do what they were asked to do.

and its DHL which is supposed to be a better firm. x

I've had no problems - have arranged that all orders are left in the shed without signature, which they are, so I'm very happy with the service. :)

I'd be happy for it to be left in an outhouse or neighbours otherwise I'd prefer them to take it back & I collect from them after 6.
I've always ordered from Norman but had a lot of waste last batch :( the hay was very bity I had to go & get a bale from a farm.

I've always ordered from Norman but had a lot of waste last batch :( the hay was very bity I had to go & get a bale from a farm.

Yes I had a lot of dusty stuff last time - wondered if his machine was faulty. My latest bag seems better so far.

The last batch I had was left outside in light drizzle so it was ok - for me it's a tough one as it's such a faff to get to the depots from where we live so in many ways I'd rather it was left somewhere. But if it comes in the morning and it's a gorgeous sunny day, there's nothing to say it won't rain later on before I get home so I'm not really sure it's fair on the delivery driver to give them that option.

I'm not really sure what I'm concluding from this, other than that I try to coordinate ordering things to arrive on days when someone is likely to be home.

We have a big roof outside our front door, so things can't get rained upon. Plus my hay and other things are usually wrapped in plastic and often in a strong cardboard box. Not so good for the environment, but good to keep hay dry. Some courier drivers don't care where they put the parcels, not only when they deliver it, but also when loading their vans. Last time my parcel had a chewing gum stuck at the bottom, very nasty. :(
Does the dust free hay come in those Hessian sacks still? Without any other protection? I am ok with having the hay left at my house without a signature, but if I didn't have that roof, I'd ask them to try the neighbours.

I get mine usually delivered to my OH's work where there is always someone to sign for it but last time I forgot & had it sent to home. it got bounced back to DHL lichfield which is 45 mins/25 miles away and wouldn't re-deliver to either cov (where my OH works) or brum (where I work). I might as well have traveled up to Derby & saved the postage costs!!!!

I would have been happier if they had tried with the neighbours (of which there are plenty that are at home all day) or if they were like the post office who have many more distribution centers so it's much closer to collect.

Not scarred by the experience though, I will just make very sure I order it to go to work address in future.

I've just had an email from Norman, following Lynne's visit last week.

He's contacted DHL to let them know what's been happening with some deliveries.

He said they are going to put a label on saying to keep it dry, so let's hope it works.

Bell and T are troughing through their hay and loving it - their poos have changed colour :shock: and the guinea pigs look as though they've never had any hay in their hutches when I feed them every day :shock: - every single bit is gone, however high I pile it :roll:

I'm lucky in that the hay can be left out of the rain on the porch, but would be happy to have it left without a signature. I've never had a problem with the deliveries, and seem to have been lucky with the quality. I always order the stalky stuff and I've never had a bad batch.

I get mine delivered to work where security is on 24 hours so it can be brought inside.I would be stuffed if i had to have it delivered to home.

I get mine delivered to work where security is on 24 hours so it can be brought inside.I would be stuffed if i had to have it delivered to home.

I'm not sure I'd be able to get a sack of hay on the tram :shock: :lol: I can just imagine the look on the conductor's face.

I've just had an email from Norman, following Lynne's visit last week.

He's contacted DHL to let them know what's been happening with some deliveries.

He said they are going to put a label on saying to keep it dry, so let's hope it works.

Bell and T are troughing through their hay and loving it - their poos have changed colour :shock: and the guinea pigs look as though they've never had any hay in their hutches when I feed them every day :shock: - every single bit is gone, however high I pile it :roll:

has it gone a lovely golden brown?

fantastic same as moos x

Back