• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice about foxes

Keyzzee

Warren Scout
Im sad to say that that I have noticed recently that a few people have been experiencing problems with foxes which has started me off worry about the safety of my buns. Can anyone shed light on whether foxes can jump fences, get into hutches etc. My rear garden is surrounded on all sides by a large 6 foot plus fence which doesn't have gaps between etc but there is a small gap underneath, which I will now seal up some how, but is there anything I can do or shouldnt do to keep the foxes away from my little angels. I have two hutches with two bunnies in each, however, I dont leave them outside on a night, I bring them into my utility room, but had planned on buying some sort of summerhouse etc to house the hutches overnight and during the winter rather than bringing them in at night, is this a safe option.

Well a fox will not get into a utility room on a night but a fox can be out daytime and will clear 6ft with ease.

6 ft is no deterrant.

Foxes have the agility of cats as well as the strength of dogs.

However a well locked summerhouse with wired off windows and the hutches inside should be ok.

you should check what kind of wildlife is around your area cause some areas have more of a population of foxes than other some dont even have any this will tell you what kind protection you will need for the bunnies:)

I've come to the conclusion over the past few years that foxes can get anywhere they darn well please. I've certainly seen them climb fences and jump 5ft gates, not to mention small gaps my cat would think twice about.

You can buy a product for your garden called silent roar, which is basically lion poo, and you use it in your bedding plants etc - it discourages cats and foxes I've found. Security lights with motion sensors can put them off too. In the winter months (dec to mar usually) when the fox is hungry I move all my chickens and buns closer to the house. Good luck!

they can climb over almost any fence, or dig under, can fit through gaps of a few cm, and chew through some hutches.

make sure you have bolts or better still padlocks on all doors and that your hutches are really sturdy, made of thick wood well put together. a shed or similar would be great for extra protection. and dont leave them in an open run in the daytime cos plenty of foxes now hunt in fdaylight and can jump into a pen. i had one come up to my patio window at 3pm and stare into my living room. :shock:

Back