• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

changing hay to timothy

leoandoliver

Young Bun
Leo and Oliva are 4months old today. I was originally told by the breeder to feed them alfalfa hay until 4 mos., then change to timothy hay. For the last two weeks I have tried to mix the two types together to get them used to it so that it would not be a sudden change for them. The problem is they have NO interest in the timothy kind. They pick out all of the alfalfa bits and leave the rest. Oliva seems even more picky about hers than Leo, who usually will eat anything. He loves hay and would eat it all day but not the timothy. I do not understand since the pellets are timothy ones by oxbow. Any suggestions?? I am afraid to just give the timothy kind because maybe they will not eat any hay and this cannot be good for them. Any advice would help!

I didn't think alfalfa was good for buns :?

Mine have meadow and timothey hay, if it's all they've got then they'll have to eat it.

Hay is really important though and should be 90% of their diet.

Leo and Oliva are 4months old today. I was originally told by the breeder to feed them alfalfa hay until 4 mos., then change to timothy hay. For the last two weeks I have tried to mix the two types together to get them used to it so that it would not be a sudden change for them. The problem is they have NO interest in the timothy kind. They pick out all of the alfalfa bits and leave the rest. Oliva seems even more picky about hers than Leo, who usually will eat anything. He loves hay and would eat it all day but not the timothy. I do not understand since the pellets are timothy ones by oxbow. Any suggestions?? I am afraid to just give the timothy kind because maybe they will not eat any hay and this cannot be good for them. Any advice would help!

Hi, as a rule rabbit food is high in Alfalfa so they shouldn't have the hay with alfalfa all the time. If the buns aren't too happy with just Timothy hay, try mixing it with a softer hay such as meadow hay. I find most buns love meadow hay :)

I didn't think alfalfa was good for buns :?

It's fine for babies, it just shouldn't be fed to adults!

I would cut the alfalfa right down/out and add some good quality meadow hay (should be greenish and smell nice and fresh) with the timothy hay. There are loads of variants of hay so maybe try a taster pack from somewhere like thehayexperts to see which they like. And of course, letting them graze on fresh grass is also just as good for their teeth and guts (but introduce them to grass slowly if they're not used to it as it is quite rich as a new food option).

i gave B alfalfa til she was adult then gave her any hay[as long as green]but alfalfa.This was the same time i decreased her pellets and she was on more of a hay/veggy diet.

Hi i have two 8 week olds and have just gave them timothy hay yesterday for the first time (before this they have just had meadow hay)- should i not have gave them this until they were 4 months??? please let me know so i can go and take it from them if will make them poorly. They love it by the way!!!

:wave: HI I USE ALFALFA KING NATURAL TIMOTHY HAY, I WAS CONCERNED BUT WHEN I WENT ON HAY EXPERTS SITE, THEY SAID IT WAS 100% TIMOTHY HAY NO ALFALFA IN IT.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I will try to find meadow hay. Here is the US we do not have many suppliers or choices but I think I saw that at one of the pet stores. I also have a local store that orders special items for me, so I will try there. I thought the pellets were made of timothy?? We have cut those down and they do mostly eat the hay and some veg at night. That is why they need to love the brand of hay...... These two are stictly indoor buns for now, so we have not tried grass. Plus the husband fertilized the lawn just before we got the buns.

My vet carries pellets made of Timothy hay, but the ones from the pet store aren't.

Also, have you tried soaking the hay first? That's how it was introduced to my bunny at the vet's suggestion (added to the fact that she hadn't been well, but...) Might be worth a try...?

Last edited:
At what age are they considered an adult. My rabbit is 4 months old and i give her alfalfa hay. I was told only until they are adults.

Hi was wondering if anybody had read my post. Should i be feeding timothy hay to my 8 week olds???

:wave: Yes they should be eating as much hay as you can give them timothy/meadow is best :D

As for the original post i would cut out the alfalfa and try some other types timothy/meadow/oat/brome etc and find something they like.
If theres no alfalfa they SHOULD eat the rest when they realise its all there is.

My Picky Buns! I found some meadow grass and they have turned thier noses up at that too! I am going to keep trying, I did notice that they have eaten some of it, but keep digging looking for any alfalfa bits. Thier pellets are timothy..........and from Oxbow that I did buy at a pet store...........we checked the label and went on the wesite. It is an adult bunny food, but we have always fed it, since they were on the alfalfa hay as babies......I guess I will search on line for some other kinds........DOES EVERYONE HERE ORDER THIER HAY ON LINE?? I guess I would have to find an american company or distributor with the shipping rates as they are..........

My Picky Buns! I found some meadow grass and they have turned thier noses up at that too! I am going to keep trying, I did notice that they have eaten some of it, but keep digging looking for any alfalfa bits. Thier pellets are timothy..........and from Oxbow that I did buy at a pet store...........we checked the label and went on the wesite. It is an adult bunny food, but we have always fed it, since they were on the alfalfa hay as babies......I guess I will search on line for some other kinds........DOES EVERYONE HERE ORDER THIER HAY ON LINE?? I guess I would have to find an american company or distributor with the shipping rates as they are..........

Try oxbow hay company, they are an american comapny so you should find a supplier easily or order online :)

http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp

i think an adult is when they're fully grown which is about 12months or someone once told me 18months for a frenchie[not sure if thats true.]No hay is bad for babies but alfalfa is bad for adults as it is too rich in protien.I think i weaned B off alfalfa at about 10-12months.

Back