• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When buying rabbits from a breeder and one of them is ill

nottslady

Young Bun
Hello again,
I haven't even got the rabbits yet and things are going wrong! Please can you help!

I am due to get two dwarf lops on Thursday who are sibling boy and girl. The breeder (who seems lovely, and was when I went to visit the rabbits) has phoned this afternoon saying that the bunny I want has suddenly lost half of his weight since yesterday and he is taking him to the vets now. He said he will contact me with results later tonight.

I don't know what to tell him when he phones. Should I still take the sister and him? I am worried that she may get whatever Jack may have. The breeder does have other litters that will be available later in the month, and next month. What do you think I should do? Does anyone know what might have caused the sudden weight loss? Sorry to not be very specific, but that is all the man told me on the phone.

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Oh dear wouldn't take them either, sudden weight loss can be a sign of Statis.

Not all breeders but some overbreed their stock and breed from the runts as well so any weakness in the blood line is passed on.

Plus if you do get a boy and a girl they will have to be separated when they are sexual mature (12 old weeks I think).

Good luck whatever you decide

Oh right.
Thank you for the advice. Do you think I should not take any bunnies from him at all then? Do you think I should go to someone else? Does anyone know any good rabbit breeders in the Notts/ Derbyshire area? Thanks.

Hi nottslady i have 2 baby boys looking for a new home your more than welcome to come and see them if you want they are 13 weeks old tomorrow

Personally I think you should rescue, as that has many advantages over buying breeder bunnies. :wave:

AMETHYST

Oh right ok, hadn't really thought about that before! Ok, so does anyone know of any rescues in Notts/ Derbyshire area?? Thanks!

I would rescue if you can, nothing against breeders but there are so many fine buns who are in need of loving homes! :wave:

Well any bunny could get sick... it doesn't have to be the breeder's fault.
If you really want that rabbit you could just wait and see if the breeder finds the cause of the weight loss.

:wave: How old are the bunnies you were hoping to bring home this week?

Young buns who have just left their mum are still quite vulnerable to various different types of sickness - some quite serious, some not so, so I would wait and see what the vet says before deciding what to do.

If I were you I would definitely consider rescue though - you are more likely to get a good insight into the personality of a slightly more mature bun (e.g 6 months+), babies change tremendously when their hormones kick in! Also a lot of rescues will neuter the rabbits before you adopt them so you don't have to worry about putting them through the operation when they're old enough!

Please do keep us posted when you hear back with an update of what the vet says xxx

I'm in nottingham and have 2 baby boys looking for a new home

HI ID SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT HAVING BUNS FROM A HOME, AS YOU WILL KNOW THAT THE BUNS WILL HAVE BEEN CHECKED FOR ANY HEALTH ISSUES, PLUS MANY HAVE BEEN VACINATED AND NEUTERED(ACCORDING TO AGE).
BEST WISHES.DEB.

I would wait and see what the outcome is. If the breeder has been honest enough to phone you and tell you there is a problem, then i would not say they are hiding health probs from you. I do know a few breeders from the show world so if you want to pm their name i will let you know if and what i have heard of them xx

Hi thanks for the advice everyone.
As Minimak and others have suggested I am going to wait and see what the breeder says, as I really had my heart set on Jack and Rosie - and as they have been honest with us re health problems, I still think they are reputable. I haven't heard from the breeder yet, but hopefully he will contact me this evening. If things do fall through then I will think about rehoming. In answer to a question, the rabbits are 8 weeks old on Wednesday, so was going to pick them up on Thursday, after I have had a particularly difficult exam - what a lovely way to cheer myself up!

Keep your fingers crossed for me please! I will update when I can xxx

Hi nottslady i have 2 baby boys looking for a new home your more than welcome to come and see them if you want they are 13 weeks old tomorrow

are they 13 weeks already? Wow I bet they are real sweeties now. Anymore pictures? :D

I would worry if this breeder has 3 litters ready for rehoming this month. This suggests a very rabbit intensive environment to me, and could mean the rabbits carry diseases typical of such breeding environments, for instance snuffles or coccidia.

There are some very bad breeders in your area who constantly have litter after litter advertised on free-ads.

Hi yes there 13 weeks already i think i posted some pics the other day but will see if i have any others :)

I would worry if this breeder has 3 litters ready for rehoming this month. This suggests a very rabbit intensive environment to me, and could mean the rabbits carry diseases typical of such breeding environments, for instance snuffles or coccidia.

There are some very bad breeders in your area who constantly have litter after litter advertised on free-ads.

Many breeders have a lot of rabbits, thus also a lot of litters being born at the same time. Some even purposely breeds one or more does at the same time so that if one doe can't care for all her kits (Such as if its a big litter) the other doe could take over some. (And yes it IS possible to move newborn kits into a litter of the same age, rabbits have no instinct of throwing out unknown babies and will just assume they are theirs) This doesn't mean they don't care about the rabbits though.

personally i would not take on these buns while the breeder may be reputable the fact they have many litters ready at once is concerning. i would go to a rescue find one near you (rabbit rehome) or look on here on rabbits in need even if rabbits are a long way away a home check and a bunny run can be organised to get you the ones you fall in love with. there are thousands of rabbits in need who have been given up dumped or unwanted. rescues will have them health checked their vhd/myxi injections and neuters done they will also bond them for you. all of this saves a hell of a lot of money most rescues will ask for around 25 pounds per bun and when you think a nueter is around 50-90 pounds each vaccs per bun is about 15 pounds....woo you have saved a ton and 2 rabbits needing homes!!! if you must get from a breeder be careful and take for a vet check up at a rabbit savvy vet to be sure. make sure they are ok and that they are kept seperatly until neutered then you can start to bond them.(otherwise unwanted litters)

3 litters does not necessarly mean they are coming from a bad breeder, breeders will tend 2 breed 2 or 3 does at the same time so they will have surrogate mums in case of problems

Back