• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question On Behaviour

MollyND

Young Bun
Hi,
Molly is our Netherland Dwarf. She was purchased at a pet store and is about 4 months old. Shes a very sweet little rabbit,i've been able to pick her up give her kisses, and yesterday we even went for a hop in the park(with harness of course!) Today I was cleaning her cage out and as i was picking up wood shavings she kept jumping at my hand or charging it almost. Is this a aggresive thing or?I'm not sure what to make of it. She is new(not even a week in our home) and is in a medium sized cage with llots of out of cage play time. This month I am buying her a cage complete with ramps and lots and lots of room. Thanks.

It's a territorial thing, Molly is protecting her cage from you as she views you as an intruder....I'm betting she dosn't do this outside of her space.

Neutering can vastly improve this and also makes for a much happier, more relaxed rabbit as well as eliminating the risk of uterine cancer which affects 80% of unspeyed females over 5 years.

As a small breed, nethies mature faster than other rabbits which means she is starting to get her adult hormones now and this is causing her behaviour. Most vets will neuter females from 6 months although some will neuter when a rabbit has reached 1kg in weight.

yes it's quite normal behaviour for unspayed females - best if you get her a dog crate that she can hop in and out of herself, then while she's out having a run round the room, you can clean and do food dishes etc. If you need to feed her wear gloves too - they sometimes get excited and rush for the dish and bite, not being aggressive so much as telling you (in bunny language - they communicate with nipping) to hurry up with dinner! Even my neutered, adult male rabbit has done that :shock: I always wear gloves when feeding, and always let them out before cleaning - saves problems :)

Thank you for the advice! I just really love this little bunny shs just a doll. If i put my head down by her she will go on her hind legs and brush her whiskers on my face,i'm guessing this is a good sign?

Thank you for the advice! I just really love this little bunny shs just a doll. If i put my head down by her she will go on her hind legs and brush her whiskers on my face,i'm guessing this is a good sign?

Yes, she trusts you and is probably summing up her prospect of getting a groom :D

Yes, she trusts you and is probably summing up her prospect of getting a groom :D

:shock: a groom?lol I was considering getting her a friend in the near future(after shes spayed and moved to larger living quarters)Would it be best to get another female?Also would they have to be the same breed?

Yes, rabbits show thier appreciation by washing each other, dominant buns get most of the grooming and submissive buns do most of the grooming.

Giving her nose rubs or ear tugs equates to the same and she may grind her teeth softly in appreciation. Some of my male buns have groomed me by washing me with their tongues.

It would be best to get a male but they must both be neutered and breed has very little bearing on bonding (except size extremes). :)

Back