• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lump:- Update she came through the surgery

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
I was looking at Tinkerbell yesterday and it looks like she has a lump underneath her chin. She is a Nethie and has always looked a bit kind of jowly but one side is definately bigger than the other.

Have booked her in at the vets at 3.15pm. Any ideas what it could be? I thought maybe an abcess?

Last edited:
It could be an abcess but it could also be an elongated tooth root....has she had problems with her teeth at all? Is it at the front or back?

Sooz, it's at the front and no, she hasn't had any problems with her teeth previously.

Update not good news

Been to the vets, not good news.

Vet had a look in her mouth and said her teeth are in quite a state. She thinks it is an abcess and that, if it is her tooth causing it, then the prognosis isn't good. She even said that we may decide not to go down the dental route and choose to have her PTS :shock::shock: no way, no way :(

Anyway, she has had a shot of Baytril and we have had some to administer ourselves and she is booked in for Friday morning for an Xray and general going over of her mouth to see the extent of the problem.

I can't deal with this so soon after Simba went :cry:

The way the vet was talking it was as if there was no hope at all. Did she really imagine that I would say to go ahead and have her PTS when she is eating fine and is her normal self?

Anyway, we will have a better idea after Friday so I'm just hoping that the news isn't too bad.

Thanks for the reply anyway :D

Awww I wish her all the best, my Zippy has had terrible problems with her teeth and lots of abcsesses and she's still going, try not to worry too much, some vets are a bit mean. :(

The way the vet was talking it was as if there was no hope at all. Did she really imagine that I would say to go ahead and have her PTS when she is eating fine and is her normal self?

Anyway, we will have a better idea after Friday so I'm just hoping that the news isn't too bad.

Thanks for the reply anyway :D

somethimes vets look at things and think if we cant fix it kill it we wouldnt be put to sleep for our teeth so neither should an animal my Guinea Pig spent 6 months with terrible teeth he needed seringe fed but he loved life even if the vet was trying to get me to say yes to pts all the time. If your bun has had enough with it all and life believe me you will know because she will tell you (god i sound mad :oops:) all my pets have always told me when it was time.

im sending lots of vibes hun imsure she will be great and dont let the vet upset you *hugs*

I'm sure by the fact its been caught early she must have a fighting chance, nethies are such tough little critters too (probably because they are so stubborn).

Is it her incisors/molars or both that are a concern?

I agree with Sooz

I'm sure by the fact its been caught early she must have a fighting chance, nethies are such tough little critters too (probably because they are so stubborn).

Sorry to hear this thinking of you and I hope Friday goes ok
xx

Thanks ever so much for all the replies, much appreciated.

It's the molars that she said looked a bit ropey though she did say it wasn't possible to get a good look at all of them.

Should their teeth be pearly white or is it normal for them to be yellowy?

Twinkle my nethie has exactly the same. She went for a dental and at the same time they took some Xrays and found an infection in her jaw. They said the prognosis isn't good either. They put her on two weeks of syringed antibiotics and said they'll just have to keep and eye on her. When she next needs a dental and she's been put out, they'll take another xray to see how it is. At the minute I'm feeling everyday for lumps and bumps along her jawline. There's a name for it - i looked it up on the internet but it upset me too much to read about it! :cry:. The prognosis isn't good cos the antibiotics rabbits can have aren't strong enough to get rid of it most of the time. I was devestated!

BUT having said that, there are surgical options etc before getting to the PTS stuff. Twinkle at the minute (touch wood) hasn't got any lumps but im constantly feeling for them.

We've all got our fingers and toes crossed for you and your bunny babe xxx

I'm sorry to here about Tinkerbells abscess. I've always found ceporex works well and also if you have it drained applying maluka honey and tiacil can help.

I hope everything goes ok on Friday

Oh no ! I've only just seen this! Perhaps you could try her at another vet - mine are great, give me a call if you want to talk x

Thank you everyone so much for your support.

I've just searched Osteomyelitis and came across Fred's story. Made for depressing reading but there was also a lot of information, so thanks for that.

Julia, once I get the full diagnosis on Friday I will give you a ring if thats ok.

I still haven't got over losing Simba yet, and thought that Tinkerbell was so much happier since she made herself a housebun again. I can't believe this is happening.

Back