• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ant Problem

Clairabow

Warren Scout
Hi can anybody advise me of what i can do. i have two 8 week old netherland dwarfs and have just been out to clean their feeding bowl out and there were ants all over their uneaten food. After further invstigation there seems to be a lot of them underneath the newspaper in the bottom of the hutch. i brought them home on Saturday and put them into a brand new hutch. I cleaned the hutch out on Thursday. Im note sure what to do. Can i treat it with ant spray as long as it says friendly to pets?? Sorry if i sound a bit overprotective :oops: but they are my little babies :D

Claire

Disinfectantmight work.

Also, draw a chalk line somehere whee the ants are getting in, and the ants will not cross this line. They hate chalk ;)
Jack x

I used cage cleaner on Thursday i think it contains disinfectant. I have never heard the chalk one before i will defo try. Thanks v much

i had ants in the hutch not so long ago, i put chalk around the hutch.. it work for me :D

xx

Is the hutch on the floor or on legs? If its not you need to raise it up on legs (reduces damp too). The wrap sticky tape sticky side out and no more ants. The only safe traps will be sticky non toxic ones.

Hi hutch is raised on legs it is a two story hutch and there is none on top floor yet! i am hoping to eliminate them before they get out of control. Thanks Claire

this is a pretty horrible solution (well for the ants).
When we had ants in our kitchen, we put down a mix of half sugar and half bicarb of soda, which basically kills them. If you can put a line of that around where the bunnies can't get to it.....

the only problem is their run comes straight off the hutch so whatever i use will have to be rabbit friendly. Unless i put it on grass under the hutch. Will it attract them (ie. will they go past hutch door and under hutch to get to the sugar and bicarb??)

Claire

I'd say try and follow them back to their nest and then apply suitable killer to the nest! We seem to have loads of ants nests on our lawn, but at the momen they haven't shown any sign of coming into the house or shed.

Hannah

Back