• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To vaccine and neuter or not, that is the question..and also, found a lump on bunny:(

MaisieBlue

New Kit
Hello, got my indoor bunny and she is about 12 weeks now, debating about vaccine, spaying and trimming nails.

Is there any for and against spaying and vaccines? Or recommended to always do both? And also, bunny isn't too keen on having her feet held and I wouldn't want to hurt trimming her, would a vet do this when spaying/vaccine?

And also, left our bunny in families care for a week, have got back tonight and found a red/pink lump/spot on her belly, doesn't seem to be painful...is it dangerous?

Always vaccine and spey. Females are extremely prone to uterine cancer very early on if they aren't speyed. I wouldn't hesitate if i were you. On the lump thing, mabe sounds like a bite or something but there are some fantastic people on here if you put a pic on. But back on the vacc spey thing, it's money wekk spent. Don't even hesitate :wave:

Def do both, as said all already worth the money plus if neutered you can get a bunny friend.

x

I don't even need to read your post to answer this.

Owning a pet and not vaccinating and neutering is very irresponsible; you'd probably neuter & vaccinate a dog so why should a rabbit be any different?

if the lump concerns you, i'd consult a vet just to be safe. sorry i can't be of more help. :wave:

I would vaccinate, as Myxi and VHD are horrible for rabbits to suffer from and being inside makes no difference.

As far as spaying goes, it's recommended to prevent uterine cancer in later life, and also the biggest plus is you can then get her a friend without the risk of a pregnancy. Female rabbits can also be very territorial and occupied with their hormones - as nature intended - and I found spaying makes a nicer bunny in most cases. There is no rush though with a 12 week old rabbit, especially if you're not intending on getting her a friend right away. So take your time and do your research on the right vet to do the spay, as some vets are better with rabbit medicine than others..

Get the vet to show you how to clip nails, then you will feel confidant to do it yourself next time.

Well thanks for the comments, she is now booked in for both vaccines, and will be debating the spaying, would be nice to get her a friend in the future though!

I was just about to ask about the speying also. I thought I'd add to this thread instead of starting a new one. I'm thinking about getting Darcy (9 Month, Female Rex Rabbit) speyed. My concern is about the actual operation, I'm frightened of loosing her under the aneasthetic? Do most rabbits do okay with this op?

Darcy is quite territorial and although I'm getting there with handling her, I hope that neutering her will make her more friendly? Should this be the case?

Many thanks! :D

I think its up to you what you want to do I have lost two females one when she was under being spade and the other from an infection she got after. I have also lost a male rabbit from a reaction from having the vacs. I wanted you to know this as everyone says you should get these things done but you do need to know the risks as well. Please don't feel bad if you don't get these things done it is your choice and no one should judge you for what you decide to do.

It is highly unusual to loose a healthy rabbit under GA and even more unlikely to loose a healthy rabbit due to a reaction to a vaccine. I have had over 60 rabbit's neutered and lost two, both female, during the op. One died due to a heart murmur which meant she arrested under GA and the other due to complications from having dead, ossified, kits in her womb.

I have never lost a rabbit post-op.

The best thing you can do is find a rabbit savvy vet who routinely speys and castrates....there are threads on here about things to ask your vet to check how rabbit savvy they are.

Your vet should give a full health check prior to vaccinating and neutering as neither should be given to a rabbit that is not 100% well.

Well thanks for the comments, she is now booked in for both vaccines, and will be debating the spaying, would be nice to get her a friend in the future though!

I really advise you get her spayed - regardless of whether you get her a friend or not, if she's left unpayed she's at huge risk of uterine cancer.

My concern is about the actual operation, I'm frightened of loosing her under the aneasthetic? Do most rabbits do okay with this op?

Putting a healthy rabbit under GA now has about the same amount of risk attached to it as putting a healthy cat under.

Darcy is quite territorial and although I'm getting there with handling her, I hope that neutering her will make her more friendly? Should this be the case?

Many thanks! :D

It helped with my bun Pippa (now at RB) and also I paired her with a friendly male which brought her out of herself. Within a couple of weeks of spaying I noticed she'd calmed down a lot

I believe you should always have both done and i use the vaccine times for vet to listen to heart,check claws,teeth,eyes and ears.B going for VHD on weds.

Definitely get them vaccinated-my husbands cousin wouldn't get his bunnies done however much we went on at him and he lost both his rabbits to myxi-very nasty! Also just found out our neighbours at the back lost theirs to suspected myxi too so it is definitely out there, not just with wild rabbits and in cities too.

With spaying my experience has been great. I have had three girlies done and all been fine. It does take a little longer to recover than with the boys but mostly just woozy for a day or so from GA. With my French Lop we left her a bit later than I would normally do about 8 months and she was a terror-mounting her husbun, pulling his fur out, nipping me and my OH. 6 weeks on she has completely clamed down and much more friendly.

If you are worried ask the vets how often they do procedure and what success rate is.

Back