• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help !Bonding problems - male/female rabbits

:(Can anyone help?
We lost our female rabbit earlier this year, she and our male bunny, Binky (mini-lops) absolutely adored each other.
I did some research, left it a while, then rescued a female dwarf lop from the rspca.
Both rabbits have a lovely temperament but don't seem to get on with each other whatever I do.
First meeting.. neutral territory.. she bit his bum and he ran off.
2nd meeting, I kept stroking her for a while so he could sniff her without her biting. This worked well, he seemed really interested.

I've persevered for several weeks now. Have let them both loose in the garden which is big enough for them to avoid each other but they always end up in punch ups.

Cages/runs have always been side by side so they can see each other all the time.

Thinking I may have to give up and have separate rabbits forever.

Any ideas anyone?

My advice would be to phone a few local rescue centers and see if for a donation they will help bond your two. Some biting is normal but if your anything like me you wont know what is ok and whats not if you see what I mean. Good luck im sure it will all work out.

I would keep trying, but use a smaller space - do you have something smaller that you could put them is, even a pet-carrier, and also use a neutral place, somewhere neither of them has been.

battling bunnies

Thanks for the advice folks.
We're in Matlock, Derbyshire.
I think ringing the rescue centres to get some expert help might be the best option.
I've tried bathroom floor meetings, kitchen floor meetings, garden meetings. We always end up in massive punch ups and a startling amount of fur everywhere. So far we've avoided serious injury but it's extremely disturbing.
They're both neutered, she's a bit bigger than he is.

Very stressful.

:roll:

Back