• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

milly100

Alpha Buck
I have 2 bunnies and neither of them eat a great deal of hay. My little girl is better now Ive changed to excel super forage but still doesnt eat a great deal. My little boy has both meadow hay and excel but only seems to nibble a little bit. Any suggestions??

This may seem like a silly question, but where do you put their hay?
My bunnies like to sit and dig in theirs to find the best bits, so they have hay in their litter trays and boxes of hay.
I also put hay in plant pots, with a few little treats inside - maybe some herbs - and they enjoy that too.
I swear by the dustfreehay - they all eat much more of that than any other hay I've tried them with. Or try the hayexperts - they have lots of tasty hays.

Providing their teeth are not a problem, you could try a few things.

You could reduce the amount of pellets you give them, that way they are encouraged to fill up on hay.

How do you offer the hay? My lot are not really interested in hay racks and prefer their hay off the floor. My rabbits have hay as bedding, which helps encourage them to eat more too.

Lastly, you could try different types of hay. My lot love meadow hay but are also quite partial to Stalky 'Dust Free Hay' and oat hay from Oxbow. The Hay Experts do a hay taster pack, you get a load of different hays, so you can see what they like best.

Thanks for info. I will have a look about at other types. They both have hay in hay racks and my little boy has 2 handfuls on his cage floor. (my little girl hasnt got a cage she is free range)

Mine hates Timothy hay! :shock:

He won't eat from a hay rack either - I put it on the floor of his cage - he doesn't like hay much but am going to try to reduce his pellets gradually and see if he'll eat more then.

Back