• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's This In His Coat?*Updated

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I've just found several tiny lumps on Merlin's skin - they are on the surface & either look very dry (dandruffy) or have small bits of dried blood at the root of them.
I can't see any insects - his neck & base of ears is fine so have discounted fleas. Could it be mites?
Tiny lumps seem to be dotted around his shoulders & back and are very spread out & there's about 5. His skin is not red like he's been scratching & he's not scratching more than normal either.

I'm a bit concerned as he was away at Bunny Boarding last week!

I'm going to book him in the vets tommorow but wondered if anyone knew what they are? He is moulting at the moment & is a Rex so his skin is a bit more sensitive so could he have just caught himself scratching?

Last edited:
i'd certainly consider mites if the dandruff is inbetween the shoulder blades. Carlton recently had mites and was his usual self apart from not having binky time each day. I'd never have known if i hadn't been rooting around and found the scaly dandruffy bit inbetween his shoulders.

I used the Beaphar spot-on stuff and it worked a treat. :wave:

Eeeek! Thought it might be - stupid question but how do they pick up mites - could he have got them at Bun Boarding?
He's booked in with the vet tonight x

Eeeek! Thought it might be - stupid question but how do they pick up mites - could he have got them at Bun Boarding?

He could of, but it can be caused by stress so maybe the move to boarding stressed him out a bit

my only experience with mites was a very long time ago and I was told by my vet saw dust is usually the culprit - I haven't used it since and have never had another bout

Did the cages have sawdust?

I know they can get them other ways but maybe?

:wave: hope all goes okay at the vets! i suspect Carlton's mites came from a different batch of hay to what he usually has, it seemed a bit dusty and straight off the field. :roll: i was straight back on the Herbage asap! :lol: maybe it's associated with the hay he uses?

Thanks for your replies everyone.
The Vet had a good look at them & said that something has definately been taking bites at him but said that there's nothing in his coat now (ie mites etc) & that as they have healed into scabs that whatever it was has now gone. He couldn't say whether it might have been picked up at Boarding or from before he left here so unsure of culprit at moment.
He gave him a jab of Panomec which covers all possible parasites & wants to see him again in a weeks time. Merlin seems a little more quiet than usual today (still eating & wanting fuss) - do you think this is down to the injection?

i think sometimes bunnies can be little down in the dumps after jabs but as long as he's eating, pooping, weeing fine, I'm sure he'll soon perk up. :wave:

sounds like flea bites or mosquito bites:shock:

glad hes had a jab....yes the jab plus feeling miserable with this condition will make him low/quiet.

Back