• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single buns?

i wanted to ask this myself. lola is a single house bun. She was bonded with Rory but sadly he passed away a month later. During their bond they were more friends than madly in love which i think is due to not being bonded long enough to get to that stage. However Lola seems very happy on her own. She binkies, happy flops, has happy feet, mad dashes etc. But she does groom me and OH a lot - which i suppose she would do to another bun. I'm just not sure if she is bonded with us too much. Maybe when we move we will look at getting her a friend. Its a tough one really:?

I think single buns can be happy buns. I've always had single buns before - Bella and Tarquin are my first bonded pair - and although I've worried at times about single buns being on their own a lot during the day, I've come to realise that they spend most of the day resting anyway so are quite happy on their own. My previous bunny Harvey was definitely bonded to me - and he also loved the company of the cat - so I think if they have your company they can be happy.

Hand on heart, I can happily say that sophie is 100% happy on her own and I am sure that anyone who has seen her can verify this!

She lives in our living room as a housebun so has company all the time. However, if she was an outdoor bun, I would try my best to bond her because I know that I wouldn't spend as much time with her outdoors.

Hand on heart, I can happily say that sophie is 100% happy on her own and I am sure that anyone who has seen her can verify this!

She lives in our living room as a housebun so has company all the time. However, if she was an outdoor bun, I would try my best to bond her because I know that I wouldn't spend as much time with her outdoors.

I would agree that I think outdoor buns should have a bun friend.

Yes they can be happy alone - depends on the bunny though. I felt that Maa would have liked someone to groom her - she was very affectionate to me, and used to being queen bunny in a group of slaves till she had her eye operation - she wouldn't bond back into the group or with Benny.

Benny is outside but he is a very happy bachelor boy - he was never interested in me when I got him and his brother, and didn't really seem that close to his brother either - After Pepsi died I tried to bond Benny with several girls but he was aggressive to them, and seemed so happy alone I couldn't see the point in bonding him.

He skips about and plays with things on the patio - binkies loads and seems very contented with life, so even though the rescue I adopted him from said they'd never have let me have him had they known he'd end up a singleton (ouch!) - I know he has a good life :)

Yep I think they can be happy, from what I have seen of my single bunny Jesse, she'd attack another rabbit. I think that she is happier on her own.

We've talked about Squidgy having a friend so often in our house, but he seems perfectly happy on his own.
He has the run of the house, and comes to see us if we are working (my office is upstairs!!) and has bonded with us very well. He grooms us, and plays with us, generally acts as if he owns the place.
He's lived on his own for 6 years now, and is happy. It helps that the o/h and I both work at home a lot, and I agree that outside bunnies should be bonded. The week Bobs spent on his own after Nougs went to the bridge, he barely moved, the poor sausage.

Thanks for the replys :) Eclipse will be an out doors bun, but will have lots of attention from me and at the moment he seems to be a happy bun and I dont want to risk bonding him with Jazz and Gizmo and ending up with 3 singles.

My buns are all single (since only one us spayed) except for Aroma, Rufus and Obito at the moment, but since Rufus and Obito are only two months old they'll have to move out soon too.
I keep them beside each other though, so they have some company.
Zakura and Aroma can't live side by side as they hate each other, so now Sasuke lives in the middle of both girls, separated from Zakura with a wire wall, and he tends to pick fur of her head...but she sticks her head into his run so I'm not quite sure what's up with those two:? Aroma and her boys are in a indoor cage and can't stick their noses into anyone else's run, but they can see Sasuke. There's only a fee inches separating their cages.

Its rather hard to keep breeding bunnies together, un-neutered males hardly ever gets along, especially if they are to be bred as well, pregnant females too tend to fight, and even if they are separated it could be hard to reintroduce them after the kits are weened. Male and female-pairings are the recepie for disaster unless at least one is neutered.:?
So most breeders I've talked to all have buns living separately, a few may have female groups, but that's rare.

I'd say yes but it depends on the bunny and its living situation. I had a chinchialla rabbit who was the sweetest friendliest bunnie with humans but hated other rabbits. We had many failed bondings with her and in the end gave up. She was always happy and content as long as she got her cuddles.

Back