• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh no Jess has got wind -how can I help?

lisa82

Mama Doe
Last night there was a lot of thumping in the buns room, turns out it was Jess farting, thumping because she didn't like it then Elsie was thumping back :roll:

Last time Jess had wind was a year ago and about 2 weeks later, we woke up to her in stasis. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the gas and prevent it escalating? There's no thumping now (touch wood) so hopefully the wind has gone. It was just after veggie time so maybe she ate them too quick. Will cut down her veggies slightly tonight.

Any tips? :D

Last edited:
Infacol (simethicone) can help to break down trapped gas. It's a pleasent tasting baby colic remedy available OTC and as it's chemically inert it's virtually impossible to OD.

If however it dosn't help within a hour, she gets worse or starts to exhibit signs of pain then it's a vet job.

Infacol (simethicone) can help to break down trapped gas. It's a pleasent tasting baby colic remedy available OTC and as it's chemically inert it's virtually impossible to OD.

If however it dosn't help within a hour, she gets worse or starts to exhibit signs of pain then it's a vet job.

Thanks :D I gave her some infacol last night (she wouldn't take much). Hopefully that helped. No more wind today that I know of. Would you keep giving it as a preventative? It's just before when she had wind, she then seemed fine for a week or 2, then suddenly one morning she was poorly :(
Would you reduce the veg too? Perhaps add more herbs for now rather than veggies? Or could it just be a one off bout of wind? :?

Back