• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay/bonding and wild rabbits

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Hello all
Something I'm curious about...I know that hay is vital to domestic rabbits and should comprise most of their diet, but what happens to rabbits in the wild? Don't they just eat fresh grass/weeds? Also how do wild rabbits- all of which are unneutered - manage to live amicably in colonies, when it seems to be so hard sometimes to get even neutered rabbits to bond? Apologies if these are stupid questions, but they got me wondering....

Yes because hay is just dried grass.
Well they're family and have been bought up together... and also dominance kicks into it as well.
Can't remember what the question was now, but thats my very brief answer :lol:

:) Thank you.... and it's true hay is just dried grass, so I can see why our rabbits thrive on it, but no-one here would advise feeding on non-dried hay (ie grass), yet surely that's all wild rabbits live on?

Mine live on grass museli veg and a bale of hay they can munch on when ever they want.
I wouldn't advise feeding a tame rabbit purely on grass as their 'inards' are completely different to the 'inards' of a wild rabbit.
:) Does that help?

Ah, thank you, yes that's what I was wondering...anyone know in what way they are different?

Wild rabbits have a chance to escape if they start to fight, also they have much more room to roam freely on.
I have heard of a few people who've been able to keep unneutered domestic rabbits together too, most of the times females, but my neighbors have two males I think are not neutered in a dog pen.
At one point I even heard of someone who put a whole lot of pregnant rabbits in a large room, they all ended up giving birth in the same nest and shared parental responsibilities for all the babies:shock:

My rabbit lives mostly on grass. He's always gien hay cos that is the done thing but he doesn't it. He eats the dandylions from our garden mostly. There's very little grass - all weeds (dandylions and buttercup) I TRY to keep him off the buttercup but he LOVES those! :shock::roll: He has a handful of Excel pellets in the morning and evening.

Back