• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I nearly lost Nibbles, terrible accident

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I was outside all day yesterday laying my slabs, when I'd finished I went upstairs. Nibbles is normally sitting on the landing looking down, so I stuck my head around her door where her crate is and she was lying in her dog basket, really funny, I touched her and she wasn't right at all and lying funny. I ran back downstairs to everyone, in a panic as I really thought she was close to the end and thought she would have to go to the vets to be helped to the bridge. :cry::cry:

My friend came back upstairs with me and picked her up, she was freezing cold and lying on her side and around her leg was loads of hay, it was wrapped around over and over again. We took her to the bathroom, my friend held her while I started unwrapping her, it was so tight like it had stopped all her blood and she was still floppy and she was covered in wee where she'd wet herself, so we got the hairdryer on her, but she was still cold and all white stuff was coming out her nose. We gave her a little bit of metacam, to perk her up a bit, but she looked so poorly, we tried her on the floor, she was not right, but could stand on her leg.

My friend was like you need to get her body heat up, so my lodger had her on him with a snuggle safe and a towel, then I swapped over for an hour, tried to put her down again and her temp would go down and she was acting all poorly, so me and my lodger had to take turns keeping her warm ans syringing her water until eleven last night, she was eating a bit of food by herself so that was a relief.

When we finally put her down she did her normal strange yampy run off, I never been so relieved. I think she still is in a bit of shock, she's not 100% normal, but I have never been so happy to see her sitting at the top of the stairs this morning :lol:, she's a little quite though, I gave her a good head rub and she reared on to her back legs to give me a little scratch, so she's deffo feeling a lot better :lol::lol:, I really thought I would be starting a rainbow bridge thread today.

Has anyone else had this problem with hay getting wrapped around their bun?

I havent had this problem but it sounds like you did a fantastic job in saving Nibbles as shock can so easily kill a bunny.I hope she carries on improving today.Loads of VIBES for Nibbles.

Thank you so much, I reall didn't think she was going to make it, she's 11 an thought it would of been enough to kill her, thanks to my freind I was a jibbering wreck :oops::lol::lol:

Poor Nibbles. Who would have thought hay could be so lethal.

Hope she is soon back to normal and you have got over the shock, Tree xx

Thanks, well I was so knackered after laying slabs, it was totally stressfull, I didn't want to take her to the vets, because how she was they would of talked me into putting her to sleep, she looked terrible, she's falling apart at the best of times, but she looked moments from death last night. I can't belive it, I am going to be so paranoid about hay in future, it was so tight around her back leg :(

Poor Nibbles.

I've heard of Guinea Pigs getting hay wrapped round their legs and certainly my hamsters get a bit wrapped up in their bedding but not rabbits. Perhaps you were just unlucky.

Glad she is better now.

Yes, I have had this with Harvey and Harriet, my 2 oldest bunnies, I now either buy short cut hay for them or Roy sits and cuts the long hay with scissors:roll:, but I wouldn't trust the long hay, it's because they are not as mobile as they used to be and don't hop high enough, they tend to ho shuffle if you know what I mean and then they get tangled in the hay.

Good job you found her when you did, it's really scary when it happens.

oh my goodness, poor Nibbles. you did a great job. I haven't heard of that happening before.

Thanks guys, :D

Theo it's horrible isn't it, I never expected that when I saw her lying looking dead in her hay, I never thought in a million years it was because she was trapped. It must be a thing with oldies then, I'm going to take her hay away I thing and just give her a hay rack and put a vet bed in her litter tray to wee on, my friend cut her hay up so it couldn't happen again, never been so shocked :(

Poor Nibbles - and you - that must have been so stressful. Well done on saving her.

Bunny hugs to you both.

Bloomin eck gal!

That must've been so scary! I wondered why the expensive hay is cut short, now I see why! Good to hear that you guys managed to save Nibbles though.

Carmen

Well done to you is all I can say! (And glad nibbles is ok too :D ) Thats what I call bunny first aid :shock: Lucky Nibbles lives with you! :thumb:

Crikes what a fright for you :shock:

I find my oldies get some arthritis in their spine and consequently their back legs dont work too well. Perhaps Nibbles is a bit of an arthritic old gal.......like me :rolleyes:

Glad she has perked up now

Janex :)

What an awful fright. When you said terrible accident, I thought a slab had fallen first of all. I notice sometimes my hay is in very long strands and quite coarse so it could happen, but one would never think ahead of this that the hay should be in short pieces. I guess a lesson learned for me too and I shall now cut the hay shorter. What a relief she is okay though and it was so good you found her.Your lodger is a sweetie, with trying to keep her warm on him. You now have two big softies living with you.

Give her a kiss from me.

Why are you laying slabs without giving everyone a shout on here as we can come up and help you. Is it finished?

Thanks guys, :D

Theo it's horrible isn't it, I never expected that when I saw her lying looking dead in her hay, I never thought in a million years it was because she was trapped. It must be a thing with oldies then, I'm going to take her hay away I thing and just give her a hay rack and put a vet bed in her litter tray to wee on, my friend cut her hay up so it couldn't happen again, never been so shocked :(

I know I really freaked when it happened to me, I sat and cried because I thought what if I hadn't found her!!:shock::shock::shock:, but she is OK now, it happens because they are not so agile, have you tried the glucosomine powder in case she is getting stiff in her legs, I give it to mine and it's brilliant

Blimey Tree, I'm so glad she is OK. I have never heard of a rabbit getting tangled in hay but I suppose it make sense in the older ones. I wonder if she had tried to chew herself free at all?

what a horrible fright :shock:

i had this happen once with my old thumps ...
he was starting with an ear infection and was turning in circles ... i went one day to check on him and he was tangled in the hay ..i had to cut it off it was so tight . :?

from then on i had to cut all his hay into short strands :shock::?

Back