• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guniea Pig neutering.

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Okay so the decision has been made to separate the rabbit and GP.
Get them both neutered, bond the male GP with girl GP's
Bond the rabbit with existing singles to make a threesome..

The GP - Toby is around 1-2yrs old...never had a GP neutered before therefore dont know what to "know" if you get me...can anyone offer advice on questions to as vets and so on......Also what about after care....

Slightly nervous...

Thanks

xx

We got Bear, our boar done at 2 years old. Again they must be fed up until the op, and try to get them eating again as soon as you can after. He had a post op check 3 days later, no stitches to come out as the wound was glued. We put a snuggle pad in with him for the first couple of nights as they find it hard to regulate their temp after an op. He recovered very quickly, and went in with the girls 3 weeks later. I have to say, I've never seen him mounting the girls ( older ladies:)) but he is a very happy piggie and they all live very happily together.
Good luck and hope all goes well.

We got Bear, our boar done at 2 years old. Again they must be fed up until the op, and try to get them eating again as soon as you can after. He had a post op check 3 days later, no stitches to come out as the wound was glued. We put a snuggle pad in with him for the first couple of nights as they find it hard to regulate their temp after an op. He recovered very quickly, and went in with the girls 3 weeks later. I have to say, I've never seen him mounting the girls ( older ladies:)) but he is a very happy piggie and they all live very happily together.
Good luck and hope all goes well.

Thats great, sounds like you have done exactly what we plan on doing!!!

Oh its so exciting lol!!
3weeks about the time to leave them or longer? before they go in with girls??

xx

I had Simon, Jeff and Stu done at a year old, the ops went fine and the pigs no probs but a while later Stu developed an abscess in the area and I know a pig that got an abscess there a year after the op, no idea if related or not?. Jeff and Stu now both have huge hernias that can not be operated on but they are both happy and healthy with no other side affects.

I say go for it as i have 5 neutered boars and they have a lovely life with girlies!!

xx

I had Simon, Jeff and Stu done at a year old, the ops went fine and the pigs no probs but a while later Stu developed an abscess in the area and I know a pig that got an abscess there a year after the op, no idea if related or not?. Jeff and Stu now both have huge hernias that can not be operated on but they are both happy and healthy with no other side affects.

I say go for it as i have 5 neutered boars and they have a lovely life with girlies!!

xx

Cheers, how long before GP can be introduced to his new wifeys after op??

x

We were told to leave it for 3 weeks, but I think I've read other folk say longer on here. None of my girls got pregnant anyway, your vet will advise you.

you're supposed to wait 5 weeks after neuter, but I waited 8 as I was so terrified of having MORE piggies (had just rescued 21 :shock:)

Neutering boy pigs is more complicated than neutering rabbits - if your vet doesn't know what the inguinal ring is, find a different vet or your pigs will maybe end up with hernias or infections - try and use a vet attached to a reputable rescue from here that has piggies done frequently - it's worth travelling for.

To recover, just bed them down on newspaper and towels - I just used newspaper and put some clean sheets on top of the mess a few times a day, then rolled it all up and changed the lot every day. I know they can poke their wound with hay, so preferably give it in a rack although I just put it in a small pile a couple times a day - Charlie of course went and laid on it :roll:

Charlie also got an impacted rectum after his neuter - he became quite poorly and I took him to the vet, who didn't know what was wrong :roll: Thanks to the internet I sorted him out that night and he was fine after a good clean out a couple of times - I guess it all got impacted while he was groggy for a while.

He had dissolveable internal stitches so there were no stitches to come out - check your vet does that too :)

I have Rodney my 2.5yr old Guinea pig going in tomorrow to be castrated.
Just do what every body else has said and he will be fine.
Good luck for when he goes in

Thanks...
I have a really good rabbit vet who i have been happy with, he has also treated my GP's before...so fingers crossed he should be okay with them. I am taking the girls back tomorrow so i will chat with them tomorrow about the male...

:)

x

I have had 2 boys done. My boy, Oscar and my friend Sue's pig, LPR.

Both were fine, no complcations or problems what so ever.

Boys recovering indoors

BoysRecovery.jpg

Oscar now has 3 lovely Laydees...

signiturecopy-1.jpg

LPR has 5 wives, but he lives in York with my friend. Oscar is very jealous that LPR has 2 wives more than him :lol:

Sorry I can't remember any of the answers to your questions, but I used Abbey Vets in Barnsley who are very good.

Rabswood

Im too scared to have my boys done!

oh yeah your post reminded me - tell your vet (incase they don't know - quite possible with most vets) they must check a guinea pig's mouth for uneaten food before they put it under anaesthetic - it can choke them otherwise and the vet is supposed to clear out the mouth first :)

oh yeah your post reminded me - tell your vet (incase they don't know - quite possible with most vets) they must check a guinea pig's mouth for uneaten food before they put it under anaesthetic - it can choke them otherwise and the vet is supposed to clear out the mouth first :)

Do you remember what hapened before Elve? thats why i wouldnt get mine done:(

Do you remember what hapened before Elve? thats why i wouldnt get mine done:(

yeah I had totally forgotten till I saw your post - long time ago now :shock: Can be easily avoided but I would always check the vet knows to do it. After what happened to yours I double checked my vet knew about this risk so I'm glad you mentioned it. As it was my Charlie died a month after being bonded - I don't think it was anything to do with the neuter though as that all went very well, but it could have been heart failure from all the humping - a hazard I definitely hadn't considered :? I had lots of single boys till recently as I was too scared to have any more neutered too, but now they are in pairs and I'm so glad I bonded them - much easier than rabbits :)

I have had 2 boys done. My boy, Oscar and my friend Sue's pig, LPR.

Both were fine, no complcations or problems what so ever.

Boys recovering indoors

BoysRecovery.jpg

Oscar now has 3 lovely Laydees...

signiturecopy-1.jpg

LPR has 5 wives, but he lives in York with my friend. Oscar is very jealous that LPR has 2 wives more than him :lol:

Sorry I can't remember any of the answers to your questions, but I used Abbey Vets in Barnsley who are very good.

Rabswood

Im willing to travel...how much do they charge and am guessing you recommend them. Did you collect them same day?

x

Back