• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you think more animals are being dumped?

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
After reading about the bunnies being found by the dustmen and our own stray bunny being found, I wondered if rescues/vets have seen an increase lately of animals being rehomed/dumped. Our vets, as well as Xena who we took in, have also had an old stray cat taken in, starving and on its last legs, both this week. The CPL has taken it, but the partner at the vets was saying they were getting a lot of stray animals in lately.
Personally, with the crdit crunch and the cost of living going up so dramatically ( our own animal feed bills have gone up 30% and are still increasing), I suspect we will se a whole lot more of animals being "moved on" by their owners.:(

Well... summer break is fast approaching. That seems to be a high-season for leaving pets behind when people go on vacations:evil:

it is definitely to do with the credit crunch apparently. Such a shame so many animals are being dumped. I heard lots of animals are being dumped as well because people didn't want to pay out for kennels etc, when they go away on their summer holidays. heartbreaking:cry:
Sallyx

It does seem to be happing alot at the moment we have had 2 ragdolls left at the catteys and no one has come back to collect them so now they are in our care at the ukrcc.
I think alot of this is now down to the fact that vets charge such rediculous prices now.:evil:and what with everything going up in price for our everyday living I think people simply can not afford to have pets now.

I have to say, my vet bill has risen less than my food bills.
They have just put up prices, but they are also worried about having to do this, and they also have overheads to pay for.

That must be a difficult situation, when animals aren't collected from the kennels, do you just keep then for the 7 days, or must you keep them for longer, before saying they have been abandoned.

I am not sure how long they were left at the catterys before we were contacted but they are both doing really well here is a pic of Dephi that is about 7 years old she is now in foster care isn't she a sweetie
Delphi.jpg

she has a few health problems but hopefully they can be all sorted soon:D

I am not sure how long they were left at the catterys before we were contacted but they are both doing really well here is a pic of Dephi that is about 7 years old she is now in foster care isn't she a sweetie
Delphi.jpg

she has a few health problems but hopefully they can be all sorted soon:D

:love::love::love:
Sallyx

For some reason it seems worse to dump an older animal to me, I mean who could get rid of a pet you've "loved" for 7 years. I know they adapt to new owners, but it does take them longer and must be such a shock to the poor things.
I love ragdolls, I have a soft spot for long haired cats generally, but all mine are DSH's. Delphi is lovely, hope they both get lovely homes.:lol:

I love long haired cats too thats probaly why I have 4 of them 3 ragdolls and 1 birman.
I love all pets though as I have 6 cats 2 moggies as well as the ragdolls and birman,4 rabbits 1 french lop,1lop x lion head and two lion heads,then I have 3gerbils and 2 hamsters as well.
And of course the foster cats I get in and out as well.
I have a whole zoo here really lol:lol::lol::lol:

After reading about the bunnies being found by the dustmen and our own stray bunny being found, I wondered if rescues/vets have seen an increase lately of animals being rehomed/dumped. Our vets, as well as Xena who we took in, have also had an old stray cat taken in, starving and on its last legs, both this week. The CPL has taken it, but the partner at the vets was saying they were getting a lot of stray animals in lately.
Personally, with the crdit crunch and the cost of living going up so dramatically ( our own animal feed bills have gone up 30% and are still increasing), I suspect we will se a whole lot more of animals being "moved on" by their owners.:(

I was talking to someone from the RSPCA and they said they were at breaking point. I saw something on TV which said that many people are stating the costs involved in caring and feeding as to the reason they are giving their pet up.

Strange how the number of people taking foreign holidays never seems to go down, does it...seems to me that pets are often sacrificed so that their owners can continue living a fancy lifestyle :roll: :censored:

Strange how the number of people taking foreign holidays never seems to go down, does it...seems to me that pets are often sacrificed so that their owners can continue living a fancy lifestyle :roll: :censored:

I agree, the rescue centre that I go to says that loads of pets are dumped at the start of the school summer holidays, when people go away.

I think it would be interesting to know as well whether small pets are being cleaned out less often since fortnightly collections in my area. Certainly next door used to do their rabbit weekly but have now not cleaned him out (as far as I know) for at least the last 6 weeks (I am trying to rescue him but it is proving very difficult).

Back tot the original question, I think more pets are being dumped, particularly with the rising costs of everything else.

Back