• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and puppies?

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
How do rabbits react to puppies? I have no real experience of dogs at all, but Dave has decided that he wants one. My first and only concern really was how Evo would get along with it, seeing as he's a house bunny. If there would be any problem at all, then we won't be getting one. Dog breed in question is a Westie.

How do rabbits react to puppies? I have no real experience of dogs at all, but Dave has decided that he wants one. My first and only concern really was how Evo would get along with it, seeing as he's a house bunny. If there would be any problem at all, then we won't be getting one. Dog breed in question is a Westie.

It depends on the dog and rabbit!

Five out of six of my rabbits aren't bothered at all by my dog, the sixth rabbit is petrified of him even though he doesn't chase her or really pay her any interest at all. It's just instinct on her behalf and she is generally a nervous bunny.

Westies i'm not sure of....I know all dogs can be trained to behave around another small animal if given correct training, but some terriers have stronger terrier traits than others. Everybody told me I was mad getting a yorkie with the rabbits, but i have always had both growing up and never had a problem. Yorkshire terriers have less terrier traits than Westies. I LOVE westies and always wanted one, but my cousins westie killed her iguana and rabbit so I decided against one, although I know that doesn't speak for all westies :)

It depends on the dog and rabbit!

Five out of six of my rabbits aren't bothered at all by my dog, the sixth rabbit is petrified of him even though he doesn't chase her or really pay her any interest at all. It's just instinct on her behalf and she is generally a nervous bunny.

Westies i'm not sure of....I know all dogs can be trained to behave around another small animal if given correct training, but some terriers have stronger terrier traits than others. Everybody told me I was mad getting a yorkie with the rabbits, but i have always had both growing up and never had a problem. Yorkshire terriers have less terrier traits than Westies. I LOVE westies and always wanted one, but my cousins westie killed her iguana and rabbit so I decided against one, although I know that doesn't speak for all westies :)

That is very useful to me. Thanks. :) We've both never had a dog before, so I guess now isn't a good time to get one. As much as I'd love one, I think that's sensible. :)

As above it does depend on the dog. Our first yorkshire terrier puppy used to sit with the rabbit and budgie on the back of the sofa eating cornflakes. Our second couldn't be trusted at all and the one I have got at the moment is really good but I've never put the rabbit on the floor with him like our first yorkshire terrier.

A friend of mine has a golden retriever... can be completely trusted with her cats one of which is very old and cannot run away fast...
they have recently acquired a westie puppy Frankie (who is VERY cute :love: and VERY feisty!)

He, even with careful introduction since he came at 8 weeks and him now being 20 weeks old now, cannot be left with the cats or be in the same room as them as he will rush them, chase them and if they hide in a nook or cranny him, being a terrier, will go into the smallest space looking for them and you cant snap him out of it ...:roll:

Maybe you could look at the litter of puppies and consider a female or male who is submissive with their litter mates and less headstrong and feisty... :D

Nope, we will not get one at all if Evo will be scared in any way.

I might try to talk hubby into having a baby instead. :lol:

Hi...

we have just crossed this bridge...it totally depends on the rabbits and the pup.

Our pup has generally been okay, he tries to chase them whilst they are in the run....but we soon stop him.

When i bring them in the house, the pup is put in his "puppy pen" and just sits and generally wants to play!!

Most of my bunnies are twice the size of the puppy anyways lol..

The bunnies dont seem phased by the puppy unless he barks then they just run away.

We introduced Benji (pup) straight away and he took it and they took it all in there stride....

xx

P.s Ours is a jack russell...

Back