• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! PLease my rabbit has bitten me!

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
I have a gorgeous baby rabbit - now about 13 weeks old. He is usually sooo friendly, but makes a noise when I go to lift him from the hutch to the run or garden for some exercise. Today, I noticed he had "rearranged" his bedding tray, so went to tidy it before going to lift him out and he growled and lunged at me and bit me! ((cry)) I was so shocked! Why has he suddenly turned on me? Do htey suddenly get territorial? He was fine once outside his hutch!

This may be his hormones have kicked in, I would investigate getting him neutered and this should settle.

their sight's not great either, so sometimes they will bite if they think you have food in your hand - I always wear gloves when I put the dishes in after being bitten twice by 2 different bunnies who were as sweet as pie normally :shock:

Toffee is always arranging his bedding.
I think it's a dominance thing.
Is your bun neutured?

rabbits dont like people messing in thier space... alvin used to box me when i cleaned his cage... it was pure fear hes deffo nosey now but not angry as he finally trusts im not going to hurt him.. if i was you id only mess with the cage when your bun isnt in it or just get used to the lunging :shock:

Thanks for the advice. No, he isn't neutered, but soon will be!!! I don't know how to get him out in of his hutch to get some exercise without going in to pick him up. As soon as I open the hutch door he sits hunched up at the back ready to strike!

If you can't pick him up safely, use a bucket, basket, to move him. Sometimes I use a washing basket to move my two from place to place. You can cover the top, so they feel safe:D
Jack x

? Do htey suddenly get territorial? He was fine once outside his hutch!

Yes. They do.
And 13 weeks looks like a normal age for that to kick in.
One of my females were like this, she'd attack the moment I stuck my hand into her hutch, but calmed down a lot after neutering.

Back