• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies sleep with their eyes open?

BunnBunns

Young Bun
Are bunnies nocturnal? I have never, ever seen my bunny sleep. I have seen him chilling out, sprawled out on the floor but I have never seen him with his eyes closed except for when he's enjoying a good stroke!

My bunnykins, Toki, is a house bunny, in the morning when I get up he is always awake and runs circles around my feet until I stroke him! He hangs out with us in the front room until about 11am and then goes off into the bedroom for the rest of the day and doesn't emerge until 9pm demanding strokes and attention! We have decided that this is his sleepy time but like I said I have never actually ever seen him sleep.

This afternoon he was lounging under the bed with his eyes open and I thought he was looking at me, but when I went to stroke him it really made him jump as if he didn't know i was there. This gave me the impression he was asleep - so - DO BUNNIES SLEEP WITH THEIR EYES OPEN?

Thank youuuu :)

bandit does..and he also does it sitting up or even standing on all fours..its very disturbing!:lol:

sometimes maybe its a kind off daydreaming but i guess being prey creatures theyve adapted this sleeping method..like mums of children..human or furbaby who needs attention overnight..you wake up in an instant maybe buns do this too as a response to getting themsleves NOT eaten!:lol:

scared the heck out of me when he did it,.i thought he was having a spasm or dying....but eventually his body cant stay uproght or his eyes stay open forever...he feels safe then zonk out he goes but if hes scared or nervous he sleeps like hes resting laying down and his eyes are wide open...shudders...spooks me everytime!:oops::lol:

I believe they do, yes. :)
Watch their noses... When the nose isn't moving and the bunny is relaxed (with eyes open or not) then it is sleeping. At least, that's what I've read.

Yes!!! All four of mins sleep standing up and/or with their eyes open. It's bizarre. pretty used to it now though

oh definitely yes! some can sleep eyes closed, but alomost of them sleep the eyes opened...
Sometimes very stressfull...

mine does this weird bunny dreaming thing were her head nods and she makes little clicking sounds! I have even seen her yarn wow bunny jaws are amazing! :wave:

my first bunny Buzuk, so used to freak me out!!
watch how I found him each time there was a sunray!

sooty often sleeps standing up with his eyes open. you can only tell he is asleep becuase his head starts to sink a bit and fall to one side and he sways around. Honey tends to lie flat like a pancake to sleep. Both will sleep with eyes either open or closed. Rosie doesn't seem to sleep at all.

P1000860.jpg

sooty was asleep here.

Last edited:
ow so cute!! they are so funny when they are falling asleep in that position! You see the head fall slooooooooooooooowy and up! falling sloooooooooooowy and up! slooooooooooooooooowy and flop.... definitly asleep! Shiro is pretty good on this position!

Wuzzle closes his eyes, but my other 3 don't.

Lily falls alseep sat up and she does that funny thing you see on TV where their head gets lower and lower and then suddenly spring back up, then get lower and lower again, and they back up. Sooooo funny!

I never seen any of my bun in the past 10 yr. sleeps while standing up. I suppose it's possible because they live inside my home and feel safe by themselves.

They sleep just like Sooty on Page 1. But I did notice long ago that I never seen most of my bunnies sleep. And for that matter, I don't know how long they sleep

Back