• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dehydration advice needed urgently

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
One of my rabbits was treated gor GI Stasis two weeks ago nad since then he has been eating and pooing well. unfortunately though he drinking has been a bit rubbish. he's drinking now and again but i actually rarely see him actually do it. This morning his wee was birght pink. What shall i do?

Ta, Lisa

That happens even w/ my bunny on occasion. I didn't notice her drinking water, but there is urine.

If there is not enough urine for 24 hr. and that go on for 2 days or more, then put some juice, like carrot smashed by juicer, or pineapple juice, and pour some in the water cup.

Make sure you are using bowl, NOT a water bottle. Bowl encourages drinking

Is there anyway you could tempt him by perhaps using cooled veg water, that you have boiled your veggies in? This is something that Fudgesmummy does to encourage her bun to drink? Also is he eating much veg, cos that will have alot of fluid in it? x

Bright pink / red /orange wee often indicates something more to do with dietary intake more than urine concentration.

Most rabbits drink less if they get lots of fresh grass and also fresh veg. Some rabbits manage better with a bowl than a bottle so it is worth offering both if you are concerned about their intake. Some rabbits prefer water which is slightly warmer than normal tap water ... I would experiment.

Offering wet cabbage leaves and other vegetables will also increase their intake of fluid.

If you feel your rabbit is properly dehydrated a trip to the vet may be indicated ... also syringe feed some water.

Taking that your rabbit is currently eating and pooing and weeing. I would do everything to encourage a higher fluid intake.

Just to check, by pink did you mean all the urine or was there splashes of pink in normalish coloured wee?

you could try offering cooled herbal tea. might tempt him to drink a little more.
mine like mint , chamomile or nettle tea.

Benny barely drinks, so every morning after he's had a run and is sitting down thinking about life :roll: :lol: I present him with a lovely dish of water, warmed with a splash of boiling from the kettle - he has a look, has a cautious sniff, and then has a biiiiiig drink :) I know for a fact if I just put it in his hutch he wouldn't even look at it :? Has to be warm though :)

Back