• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed ASAP - Been to vets

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
Hey,
My Mr bun won't eat is breakfast and when he is off his food I know there is something wrong. I read somewhere that if they eat a treat, it doesn't mean they are OK. He did it a treat just a sprig of dari seed.
When I went to say good morning he was still up in his bedroom and he is normally the first down to say Hi. I had to open up his bedroom to let him know I was there, which is just odd behaviour.
He normally comes bounding down and cant wait to get in the food but this morning he just went straight out into his run. I gave him his food in there but he stuck his nose up.
He has wee'd and poo'd but that was from throughout the night, not sure when the last was. He is still just sat in the bottom part of the hutch, food is still there but he hasn't touched it yet.
You think I should go to the vet? I have until 10am to make up my mind but in my heart I fear he is poorly as he is not acting himself.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hey,
My Mr bun won't eat is breakfast and when he is off his food I know there is something wrong. I read somewhere that if they eat a treat, it doesn't mean they are OK. He did it a treat just a sprig of dari seed.
When I went to say good morning he was still up in his bedroom and he is normally the first down to say Hi. I had to open up his bedroom to let him know I was there, which is just odd behaviour.
He normally comes bounding down and cant wait to get in the food but this morning he just went straight out into his run. I gave him his food in there but he stuck his nose up.
He has wee'd and poo'd but that was from throughout the night, not sure when the last was. He is still just sat in the bottom part of the hutch, food is still there but he hasn't touched it yet.
You think I should go to the vet? I have until 10am to make up my mind but in my heart I fear he is poorly as he is not acting himself.
Thanks in advance

I would say take him to the Vet. He may have tummy pains which if left untreated might lead to GI stasis.
Ask the Vet to check Mr Bun's teeth as a sore mouth might be the primary cause of his inappetance.

Good Luck

Janex :)

oh and at the vets insist on pain relief.. i only found out after alvins stasis its a very important aide to recovery :oops::oops::oops:

even a printout from the net saying pain relief will convince your vet its the right way to go... i have a few and even rabbiting on to take with me next time alvin goes on hunger strike

hope your bun feels better soon xxxxxx

I took him to the vet before I had read any of your posts, so didn't ask about the pain relief (worrying now)
He said his tummy was very quiet, not many sounds at all which wasn't very good so said it maybe going down the stasis or colic route. He gave him an injection of metacopromide (sp?) and gave me some to give him over the next few days. Said I need to keep an eye on his poos, If they go tiny or diarrhoea (sp?) to take him back in. I looked at his poos as he went before I left for the vets and they looked fine, although I am now wondering if they were his or his or Mrs bun. Normally i know the difference but I am starting to doubt myself. Poss cos I am worrying.
Anyway he said his teeth were getting pointy again (they were done in Feb) so it maybe them giving him jip, so just have to keep an eye on him. Does any of this sound familiar and was everything done correct as far as you are aware? I am a HUGE worrier!:cry:

Dont even think bout it! TAKE HIM NOW! My rabbit did exectly the same thung a couple of weeks ago and i took him straightaway cos id heard of the dangers of them being off their food. He had GI Stasis and if i had left it any longer he would've been in trouble. Please take him

Lisa

Can you contact the Vet again to request some pain relief for Mr Bun.
If he has pain, either in his mouth or in his tummy he wont eat and that will slow his gut motility down even more.

You should not have had to 'thought to ask' about pain relief. The Vet should know to give it...................

Janex

I asked the vet about pain killers he said he didn't need them as really thinks it is just colic and to keep an eye on him and his poos, not to give him pellets just plenty of hay. He said his teeth are pointy and will need doing but they haven't got that bad yet that they would cause him an issue.

Just keep an eye on him. If he deteriorates any more don't hesitate to take him back. I always feel a bit overprotective but i think id rather be like that tahn a bit more 'see how he/she is tomorrow'. My vet thinks im a bit mad but i don't care. Better safe than sorry! Lots and lots of vibes from all of us xxx

Just keep an eye on him. If he deteriorates any more don't hesitate to take him back. I always feel a bit overprotective but i think id rather be like that tahn a bit more 'see how he/she is tomorrow'. My vet thinks im a bit mad but i don't care. Better safe than sorry! Lots and lots of vibes from all of us xxx
I am the same, I go to the vet for most things instantly. He knows I am neurotic lol
Anyway keeping an eye and won't hesitate in getting him back there if he needs to.
With regards to the pain relief as I said before the vet stated he didn't need it, he has given him some before when he had teeth issues etc but this time he says its just an upset tummy. It is a horrible predicament to be in, bunny momas saying he should have it vet saying not... I'm all confused :cry:

Back