• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Make your own treats

buddabun

Warren Veteran
Anyone done this before? I am looking online for treats for the babies but can't really see anything that appeals or is light enough (we have postage weight issues). So I was wondering if anyone had made or baked their own treats before? I tried to make one of those honey and seed stick things but it went miserably wrong (I ate it myself though - tasty :D) so what do you do to treat your buns?

I occasionally make my lot biscuits.Porrige oats mashed with a little banana,apple and a little water.Cook in oven for 15 mins.When they are done i sprinkle a little parsley on top:oops:They have to look nice:roll::lol::lol:

that sounds really tasty (apart from the parsley but i'm sure they'll love that) - will try that one thanks! good way to use up old bananas too... do they freeze?

Never tried to freeze them the bunnies and piggies eat them all before i have chance:lol::lol:I guess they would though.

well let us know if you come up with any good recipes :)

I am off to the shops to buy some oats now. fruit n veg goes off so quick here that making treats and freezing seems an excellent idea :)

:wave:

ohh ill keep an eye on this thread for recipes.. altho do i really want to poison my angels :?

One reason why I wouldn't even attempt making Bell and T treats - I'm useless at baking and cooking and anything like that :rolleyes:

Though if you come up with something really easy I might be tempted to have a go :D

your bunnies all look very young in the pictures and if it were me I wouldn't give them anything before they were 6 months old that could cause a tummy upset. I'd stick with plenty of hay to get them in good eating habits and then just add some good quality rabbit pellets if available and small selection of vegetables.

I know you want to spoil them and give them treats but sugary foods like fruit could upset their tummies.

i made the bunnies these oasty treats that had been made with oats, raisins, pellets, grated apple and carrot, they loved them

Oooh ok estelle will leave it a bit. I did give them some spinach stems the first night and it gave them lots of caecotrophs so I was going to leave it a bit before giving them more veg. They were on such a poor diet in the shop that I have been tempted to spoil them a bit (who isn't). Charlotte is sending over some SS as all they have over here is muesli and I am off down the stables tomorrow to source some hay - int he meatime they have lots of wicker baskets and stuff to chew on. They seem remarkably healthy considering hteir start in life and all teeth are in order :)

I think thats a good idea. When mine were under 6 months I was very careful about what they ate. They only had hay, pellets and a bit of broccoli, carrot or parsley. Dexter used to have a few porridge oats as he was tiny and needed that bit extra to help him grow. They are all good hay eaters now :D

i have seen these machines which dry foods ( i saw it in a little catalogue thing will try to find a linky) always tempted to get one and make some dried vege/fruit treats

Also, a word of caution with these oaty treats, they are high in carbs and protein so you really need to limit them as they are very fattening and buns can't handle high carbs very well. To be honest with any treats you'd probably end up making far too much than what the buns could ever eat, mine have always been happy with just their veg, fruit, grass, herbs and flowers. They would occasionally get some toast (like a tablespoon size) with a wee bit of mashed banana on top, but thats a real treat once in a blue moon.

Back