• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

our rabbit died suddenly

rachelb

New Kit
Our 2 1/2 year old rescue rabbit died suddenly this week - Twinkle and her sister Tickle had been with us for 2 years from a rabbit rescue centre and were real softies. Twinkle who died was a traditional brown bunny like the wild ones - we had them both to the vet for myxomatosis jabs 3 months ago and both pronounced extremely fit and well. This was completely out of the blue and i gather quite young for a rabbit. i am now worried about the other rabbit left behind hoping she will be alright and does not get lonely. Any advice? thanks Rachel

Sorry to hear about Twinkle - it's always hard when they go so quickly and unexpectately :(

You might want to think about getting a partner for Tickle if you think she's lonely? I know it seems soon, but it seems to be what I've heard about other people doing.

thanks for your replies - will look into VHD. I am contemplating a friend for Tickle too - maybe a neutered male would be best from what i have read as she may fight with another female

i'm sorry for you loss. :cry:

has Tickle spent time with Twinkle since she passed? this is a good idea if you intend to bond her in the future - she can resist a new friend as they are waiting for their other friend to come back.

you can have a PM done by a vet, i'm not sure how much that would be but it should be able to show if it was anything in particular that caused her to pass. x

I think they were in the hutch together overnight - unfortunately we were away but our friends have looked after them many times before. Actually it was fortunate as my 10yr old is usually first out to see them in the morning. I'm not sure what i can do if it was VHD ( just been looking this up) as presumably Tickle may be infected too.

I'm bot able to give any helpful advice either - I'm new to all this rabbit stuff. You must be gutted, sorry to hear your sad news.

I hope Tickle is ok too.

Carmen

No advice to offer but I wanted to say how sorry I am about your bun :cry: Must have been quite a shock so out of the blue like that.

Im sorry for your loss.When I read this I was thinking It could be HVD as there are very few symptoms if any.It seems to be at this time of year that it happens.Ive had two brothers living together and one died of HVD and the other was fine and lived until he was ten years old.I always think its bought into the garden by the wood pigeons as I have had three bunnies die from it and it always happened in May.The same time as the woodies come into the garden.I have all my bunnies vaccinated now and have had no problems since.

thanks Maizie - given me food for thought as we do have wood pidgeons in the garden and live in Wiltshire - think I will contact vet and see if I can immunise Tickle as would hate to lose her too if it can be prevented. Then may look for a friend for her.

After having Tickle immunised against VHD wait for immunity to develop before seeking a friend for her.....if you have the Cylap vaccine this is 21 days or 6 days if you have the Lapinject vaccine.

Make sure her new companion is vaccinated and immunised before bonding.

I would also recommend disinfecting her hutch, run and accesories with either veterinary grade disinfectant or Jeyes Fluid to thoroughly destroy and possible diseases that may be lurking there.

I dont suppose you know whether you rabbit went of her food in the run up to her death? I am wondering whether she may have had a digestive upset such as Stasis or Bloat whoch can be rapidly fatal if not detected and treated early.

so sorry to hear this:cry:

all i can suggest is a post mortem and getting your other bun checked out and fully vaccinated for vhd as well before getting a new companion bun.

again sorry to hear of your loss:cry:

thanks Soozy, Tickle booked in for tomorrow - health check and vaccination. Have disinfected but will check how long before she can have a friend

Back