• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neautering advice

sazzy

Warren Veteran
Can anyone please give me all the ins and outs for when you have a bunny neautered. Spot will be going to be done at the end of the month i've ever hada bunny neautered before :?

Is Spot a boy or a girl?

A castration (male neuter) involves the bunnie going under a general anesthetic to get his testicles removed (source of the sperm). He should not be starved before the procedure. Afterwards he will be a bit drowsy and will require soft bedding and careful monitoring to see that he eats and does not lick or pick at his stiches.

A spay (female neuter) is an Ovarihysterectomy like some humans get. The whole womb is removed again under General anesthetic. The bunnies tummie will be shaved to allow the vet to make the incision. A spay is a bigger operation so the bunnie will likely be more "out of it" afterwards. No starving is necessary and its important to see she eats asap.

As with any General anesthetic there is a slight risk of complications particularly in smaller animals and animals with undiagnosed allergies. However don't worry too much, the majority of procedures go smoothly if performed by a good rabbit savvy vet.

Hope this helps :)

Hi thank you spot is a boy i've heard good things about the vets and hen i went upon wednesday to have harley sexed there were loads of thank you cards on the receptions from people who had various animals seen there :)

How do you stop tem licking /picking at the stitches :?

it's not normally a problem, but you can get lampshade collars if they are nibbling :)

Keep him indoors for at least a few days after the neuter, as they can't regulate their body temp very well after having anaesthetic

He should have towel/blanket as bedding instead of hay/straw as it can irrtate the wound

Make sure he is eating well

...that's all I can think of at the moment! :D good luck to him...

Do you know what an Elizabethan collar is?
Better known as a buster collar in the pet world, you mostly see them worn by dogs but I had a tiny one for the first buck I got neutered, he wouldn't let the area be.
Some boys are good and don't bother the area. Most vets only issue cats with collars automatically so you can ask your vet for one if you think Spot will be be naughty. Apart from that, just watch him carefully for the first 3 days or so and if he lets you, pick him up and and have a wee look to see how the wound is healing. I don't know about other vets but my mine always includes a free check up ten days after the procedure just to make sure everthing is healing properly.

Oh and something else. If Spot sprays and or humps, this behaviour will change after the castration but not right away. The hormones which influence this behaviour can take 6 months in some cases to die down. But the randy behaviour does stop so don't worry about that too much.

Yes i have heard of the collars hopefully he will be good. All the babies are spraying and humping at the moment spot is first to be done as he is a little begger. The neauter is costing me £35 as i have a rspca voucher going to speak to the vets to see what is included in the price

£35 is cheap inmo. I have paid £50-60 as inflation has continued.
Good idea speaking to the vet, get as much info as possible and see if he does a check up. Good luck for Spot on the day :D

You can provide them with their own pellets and hay. If you don't. the vet will provide some but I prefer to give my own as the vets might give a different brand of food. I put in a small amount of hay in the corner of the carrier so bunnie doesn't lie down on it and have it poking her/his tummy.

I don't think the vet would mind you putting veg in but by the time the bunnie recovers it will probably have wilted or dried out.

Oh ok i was going to send him with a lunchbox :roll::lol: He loves his ve so thought he might be more tempted to eat that then his pellets

We had our 2 girls spayed nearly 2 weeks ago now, I was nervous as anything but the vets were brilliant and the stitches looked like a weird running thread stitch. The vet said that they do it that way so they are almost hidden which stops them nibbling.

There fur is growing back rapidly now and you would never know they had had anything done but we are still waiting for the hormones to calm down (which can take up to 6 weeks they said) so that we can re-introduce them. After over a year together thay took a dislike to each other :(

Back