• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help, poorly bun

Liss

Young Bun
Our two yr old bun has this afternoon/evening become quite listless and doesn't appear to have pooed (is weeing though). He has eaten his carrot that we put with his pellets last night but not the pellets. Will get up and walk/run a few paces but then just flops down. He is quivering/shaking too. Anyone have any ideas? Please help as we are really worried.

Sorry i can't help but i really think you should get him to vets asap. Vbes to your bunny

there's about 3 rabbits a day with this problem on the forum - unbelievable :shock: you need to tackle it early rather than 'wait and see' as it will only get worse if you leave it. Can you syringe feed? If you know how to, then get him to run about a bit (cruel to be kind) and then syringe him 1ml of infacol (baby wind medicine) and 10ml of water (I mix up half a soluble asprin with 100ml of water then warm it with a splash from the kettle) - You need to repeat this every hour and make him run about a bit in between.

If you aren't experienced with syringing then you must take him to a rabbit vet - not all vets know about rabbits, so ask if they have done any extra courses about them since qualifying.

He will need painkillers and fluids - most vets give a gut stimulant too but I'm not keen on this as it can rupture their gut.

If you can find some dandelions to tempt him with, he may have a nibble and get better all by himself, but don't leave it longer than an hour

Thanks for the advice but we don't have any infacol (or dandelions). OH is massaging his tummy and getting him to run around a bit. He has done this before and the massage seemed to help. Other times he did this he came out of it himself after a while. Would something slightly sugary help as sugar seems to be a major ingredient in infacol and other trapped wind remedies?

Thanks for the advice but we don't have any infacol (or dandelions). OH is massaging his tummy and getting him to run around a bit. He has done this before and the massage seemed to help. Other times he did this he came out of it himself after a while. Would something slightly sugary help as sugar seems to be a major ingredient in infacol and other trapped wind remedies?

You really need to get your Bunny to a Vet tonight.
Sugary food will not help and may infact make matters worse.
If your Bunny is in GI stasis ( this means the guts have stopped working ) then Veterinary attention is essential . Left untreated GI stasis can be fatal :cry:
Please keep us updated

Janex

I have to agree with Jane :D Please try and get bunny to the vets asap. Statis really is a killer :cry:

If you can syringe him water alone, then do so, or go in search of dandelions and long grass - but don't leave it as he'll get worse the longer it's left - have you done syringing before? If no to all the above then he needs a vet ASAP

Twinkle is my indoor bun, she was fine this morning, and then about 2 hours later I noticed she was sitting hunched up and there was no poo in her litter tray. She went to the vets and had a gut stimulant and her teeth burred, because I caught it early she is now pooing and running around - please do not wait your bun needs to see a vet urgently, otherwise you may lose him.

Seriously GI Stasis isnt something you can mess about with. My rabbit had it a couple of weeks ago and luckily i caught it. The vets said if i hadnt acted on my instincts he would have died. Take him now chick!!! :)

Lisa x

Sorry for length of time its taken me to reply! Muncher is now fine, rang vet last night but it was going to be £80 just to see them:shock: (before any treatment) which we just do not have, so we decided to treat him ourselves. OH stayed up all night giving him 1/25th of a 'Rennie' every hour as 'Rennie' has 25mgrms of simeticone which is the active ingredient in infacol (as recommended on here), massaging his tummy, syringe feeding him 'pellet mush' and getting him to run around. He is not 100% but he is so much better than last night, is eating and has done lots of poos! We have not got some 'Infacol' just in case he does this again. Thanks for all your advice and concern.xx

rennie?:shock: are any of the ingredients dangerous for buns?

as he is not 100 percent i would pop him into the vets now/have a quick search for one more reasonably priced then take him in to that one.

My rabbit did this not long ago!

I was at work at the time but my bfs mum noticed he hadn't moved for most of the day , just lay flopped & no poo's.. by the time my bf got home he was completely limp glazed eyes.. so he and his mum took him in & called the vets to get them to see him.. in the mean time he lay and had water and nothing else. aparently they heard a noisy gurgle in his tummy and he had done a massive, smelly poo (sorry thats not so nice). He had been heavily moulting at the time & it was a mixture of poo and fur..

Anyway after a lot of hassle trying to get to the vet (they called the wrong one!!), found out vet was closed so took him to another (the one they had called) who were lovely and agreed to see us (not till 9:30 tho!!) ... Once we got in, bun was fine, more than fine he was having a great time eating all the veg and hay in his carrier (soo embarrassing!!) but the vet said it was probably staisis and good we took him in, to be on the safe side. Poor bloke was covered in Munch's fur too!

Buns do like to keep you on your toes!!

How is your bunny now?? x

don't forget it's fluids that he really needs to stop this happening again, so try offering him a dish of water warmed with a splash from the kettle if he's not getting syringed fluids - that always makes my Benny bunny have a drink (he'd never bother otherwise) - Running around is good as I've just discovered - my bunny Primrose has had stasis TWICE since I posted on this thread :shock: I think she's testing me :roll: Thankfully just making her run around the patio shifted the gas or hair or whatever it was giving her tummy ache, so keep him moving and drinking - hope he's well soon :)

Last edited:
They do like to test you don't they, little monkeys! He is still doing fine, not quite back to normal yet but we are keeping a very close eye on him and his 'movements' (such a glamorous life!). Seems to drinking ok just not tucked into his pellets yet (has been eating hay and veg though). OH did research the ingredients in rennie before giving it to Muncher, I think its just Infacol for adults!

Back