• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aw! And a question... U/D Help!

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Sammy ate his dinner out of my hands tonight, he is sooooooo lovely!:D I put him and Elsa in the hutch last night and all seems well but... whenever I go out he is tucked up in the corner of the run outside... he'd never been outside until I got him. Do you think this may be because he is a bit scared of his new surroundings, could it be because of Elsa (still no fighting and not a mark on either of them)? Any ideas?
I'll check again later and see whereabouts he is.:)

Last edited:
Actually, I've just discovered Elsa is being a Madam and not letting Sammy in the hutch.:( I've now closed them both in and there's been a bit of chasing etc, Elsa is 100% top rabbit but no hurting at all. Much the same as in the pen when I first put them in, just a smaller space now which Elsa obviously remembers and sees as 'hers'. Sammy is huddled up in a corner as still as can be, Elsa is just hopping around munching hay, occassionally going up to Sammy, sniffing him and half sitting on him! When she is near Sammy lets out like a soft groan/sigh sound. Should I keep them shut in the hutch like this for a day or two now and see how it goes?:? The hutch is 6ft x 2ft x 2.5ft...

Hi there,
Before you put the bunnies in 'Elsa's hutch' did you try to neutralise her bunny smells from it? White vinegar solution is generally recommended.

It is positive that there is no fighting but if Sammy feels too frightened to move it may well stop him from eating.

I think you maybe are rushing things a bit if they were only in the neutral area together for a day - What you have to do is make them more attached to each other than they are to their territory, which usually takes about 3 days and nights minimum. Also make the hutch 'new' so there's no way she can recognise it - move it, paint it, disinfect it with bleach or vinegar and air it thoroughly - buy new water bowls and dishes and litter trays etc. I would put them back in the pen before he gets hurt or goes off his food

Thanks guys, I did clean it with vinegar but I suspect there is maybe a smell that she recognises in it. I thought I maybe rushed it a bit. I'll put them back in the pen straight away. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated:D He has moved from his corner but they are at seperate sides of the 'divider'.

All is well back in the pen. They appear to be getting on ok, though I think Sammy is still a bit wary of Elsa. They are both eating and drinking so I'm happy with that. :) I'm leaving the hutch to air and am intending to give it a good bleaching and rearrange the 'interior' before I even think about putting them in. I'll be waiting at least a week i think:)

Back