• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Rocky UPDATE back from vets

uniqueanneek

Alpha Buck
Hi folks, hoping someone might be able to give some advice here. Rocky, who is very well litter trained and normally never pees anywhere has peed all over the house today :(

He did a large pee in the bedroom today when i was stroking him (but didn't notice until he moved away) and since then I have found 3 other small puddles of urine in his room outside his cage. This is very unlike him!

I tried to have a look at his bum and can't see anything obvious, except that he seems to have urine on his fur around the area which is easy to tell as he's white.

He seems happy otherwise, if a little quiet. Is a vet trip necessary do you think? I'm going away for the weekend and O/H will be home but I'll still worry :(

Last edited:
I think if a well-trained bun loses litter training habits then a trip to the vet is definitely called for. Could be a urinary tract infection taking hold? Particularly as you're going away I think I would go to the vets and put my mind at rest. Hope it works out ok x

:wave: Carlton had cystitis and was doing the same thing. he was still using his litter tray but if he jumped or ran, a little bit of pee would come out, bless him. some antibiotics will clear it up but you can also try yarrow, marshmallow root, er.... there's another one... hold on...

I think I'll call them now and see what they say. If he had a UTI would he not appear to struggle when he pees? He doesn't seem to be in pain that I can tell, more like he doesn't realise he's doing it!

I hope he's ok...

Ok just checked his bum again and it's soaking!!! I'm going to the vet now!

It sounds like cystitis or a similar UTI to me, a course of antibiotics should clear it up, however, urinary incontinance is also a symptom of EC so I would advise starting a course of Panacur alongside the antibiotics too.

eurgh they don't have any appointments left for today so I have to take him somehwere else! He's seeing the vet at 1710.

:wave: hope everything is okay. my little monster was wet between the legs when he had a UTI but he didn't seem in any discomfort, he was still his bouncy old self. maybe it's like a human UTI where it doesn't affect us apart from when we go pee pee, ouch!!

I've made an appointment with Town and County Lucinda, is that where you go now?

Poor Rocky, he seems to be going a bit bezerk (sp)! He's digging everywhere and won't sit still, but not in a binky kind of way. It's not very like him, he usually loves his cuddles, but he just ran away when i stroked his lower back. He's leaving little wet urine footprints everywhere too!

No signs of a head tilt or anything, and he finished a course of panacur about 8 weeks ago so I hope its not EC. Hopefully some antibiotics will sort him out!

Lauralou did Carlton's problem get sorted out fine with antibiotics?

I've made an appointment with Town and County Lucinda, is that where you go now?

Poor Rocky, he seems to be going a bit bezerk (sp)! He's digging everywhere and won't sit still, but not in a binky kind of way. It's not very like him, he usually loves his cuddles, but he just ran away when i stroked his lower back. He's leaving little wet urine footprints everywhere too!

No signs of a head tilt or anything, and he finished a course of panacur about 8 weeks ago so I hope its not EC. Hopefully some antibiotics will sort him out!

Lauralou did Carlton's problem get sorted out fine with antibiotics?

i admit that i decided to go for a natural approach with yarrow (what a palava trying to find that was!) and dandelion and it cleared it up a treat. he went to the vets a few days later for a check up and it had gone. if it hadn't, i would have gone with antibiotics but i think i'm trying to be a bit of a mini elve and want to try natural approaches first if i can! i panacurred the little monster aswell. bless his cottons. he's had no problems since.

awh that's good! I doubt I'd be able to find yarrow very easily here tho, and he already has dandelions all the time! I just didn't wanna go away for the weekend and leave him like this, so that's why I wanted to go tonight.

I think the natural approach is good tho!

Well We just got back, Rocky had two injections of antibiotics and antiinflammatories. The vet also gave me metacam and a course of baytril to take home as well as probiotics. She wants us to go back with him next Friday to re-examine him too.

She thinks it is a UTI, and hopes that the meds should clear it up. I will have to brief o/h in the med routine so he knows what to do whilst I'm away.

He's very quiet now, sulking under the chair in the bedroom (Rocky not O/H). I'm just glad it's getting sorted.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sooz the Vet advised I start another panacur course next week after he's finished the current meds as he was done quite recently anyway, do you think that sounds ok?

Last edited:
Also, anyone have an idea of how long it will take for Rocky to be able to control his urinating again? I feel so sorry for him, he is being very quiet now and wants love but I'm relucant to let him up on the couch... will go and use a towel I think :love:

Also, anyone have an idea of how long it will take for Rocky to be able to control his urinating again? I feel so sorry for him, he is being very quiet now and wants love but I'm relucant to let him up on the couch... will go and use a towel I think :love:

Carlton only took a couple of days to stop puddling all over the place, hopefully Rocky will be as quick! :wave:

awwwwwwwwwww poor rocky :(

have you tried your local pound shop or even supermarket...they do absorbant puppy pads and even pampers do a sheet for kids who have leak problems for their beds...just a thought then he can have a snuggle with his mummy and daddy without fear of making too much of a mess.

hope you feel soon rocky-fudge went through this in january and soon started to feel better-we also found cranberry juice diluted with water was soothing!as was dandilion and nettle herbal teas were also good.

It usually takes about 3 days for them to stop wetting themselves if it's a UTI.

If the antibiotics clear up the infection then seen as he was recently wormed I would not repeat the Panacur course so soon. There is suggestion that natural immunity can be damaged by treating too frequently.

If he does not respond to the antibiotics or relapses then I would repeat the course.

Back