• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Savvy vet Glossop/Manchester/Tameside/Stockport Area?

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
Really wanted to get my 2 buns neutered early so that I don't have to seperate them for to long but the vet I have just been to for their mxyi jab said she has only done one neuter (male) at 12 weeks and she wouldn't do it again as it was 'difficult' she now waits until 4 months and she doesn't do female speys at all! Anybody know anywhere that will do them earlier than that in my area?

I know I shouldn't even ask this but if I manage to get them both or just the male done at 12 weeks do I really need to seperate them ? (I know what response I will get to this but I think I need it spelling out as they are such good friends it is clouding my judgement! :oops:

(They are 10 weeks at the mo)

Last edited:
Hi there,
Even when a male bun is castrated he can still remain fertile for up to six weeks, so if your girlie has not been spayed they will have to be kept separate for this time.
I believe it is not possible to castrate a male until their plums have dropped - that is why your vet has said they prefer to wait.
I think you may have to accept that some separation will be needed. Are you able to arrange their accommodation so that they can be separate but still see each other. This will make it easier to rebond them.
You definately need to find a bunny savvy vet for your girl - maybe Elaine at Tameside Rabbit Rescue can recommend one to you.
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear :( but as you sound a responsible bunny mummy I am sure you don't want to risk the patter of tiny bunny feet.
I would imagine obtaining a bonded baby girl and boy is going to cause problems with regard to timimgs of castration.

Really wanted to get my 2 buns neutered early so that I don't have to seperate them for to long but the vet I have just been to for their mxyi jab said she has only done one neuter (male) at 12 weeks and she wouldn't do it again as it was 'difficult' she now waits until 4 months and she doesn't do female speys at all! Anybody know anywhere that will do them earlier than that in my area?

I know I shouldn't even ask this but if I manage to get them both or just the male done at 12 weeks do I really need to seperate them ? (I know what response I will get to this but I think I need it spelling out as they are such good friends it is clouding my judgement! :oops:

(They are 10 weeks at the mo)

You could ask elaine as she is in the ashton area of tameside,i get mine done at companion care in oldham as it is only £42 for a buck and £48 for a doe my normal vet charges in the 70s so theres a big differance

Last edited:
Thanks

You could ask elaine as she is in the ashton area of tameside,i get mine done at companion care in oldham as it is only £42 for a buck and £48 for a doe my normal vet charges in the 70s so theres a big differance

I will ask Elaine - what age would they do yours from at companion care ?

Can someone please let me know "Elaines" details, just been reading this thread and sound like shes the one to use. Any reason why they are cheaper than an ordinary vet? Thanks From a 1st Timer :)

You could PM Elaine (she runs a rescue & has posted in this thread).

Nearest rabbit expert vets (with exotics qualifications) to Stockport would be either Ashleighs in Whalley Range or Molly Varga at Cheshire Pets in Holmes Chapel

Back