• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey my flemish giant has glaucoma

bunniesbarnbabe

Warren Scout
my bailey has been to the vets and he has been diagnosed with possible glaucoma, i dont now much about it and wondered if this was a common problem in rew bunnies?

I have not had any personal experience with a Bun diagnosed with Glaucoma

Did the Vet advise treating Bailey for EC 'just in case' :?

Did Vet mention the possibility of Congenital Cataracts, which do appear to be more common in REWs apparently :?

Did Vet actually measure Bailey's intra-ocular pressure to give the diagnosis of Glaucoma?

Janex

glaucoma is common even among human.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaucoma

in wiki, they said it's the second leading cause of blindness.

In the "5 min. vet. cnosult--ferret and rabbit", it says glaucoma is more common in dwarf and himalayan breeds

In "Ferrets, rabbits and rodents, clnical medicine and surgery", it says:

congenital glaucoma is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait in rabbits. In rabbits w/ glaucoma, the intraocular pressure is high as early as 3 mth. of age. w/ increasing age, progressive buphthalmos w/ a markedly enlarged cornea, structural abnormalities of iridocorneal angle, atrophy of the ciliary processes, and excavation of the optic nerve develop.

Topical glaucoma medications used in dogs, such as 0.5% timolol maleate and 2% dorzolamide may also be used in rabbits. Because response to therapy is unpredictable in rabbits, carefully monitor the intraocular pressure during treatment.

Enucleation, inserting an intrascleral prosthesis, and laser cycloablation w/ a diode laser have also been used to manage glaucoma in pigmented pet rabbits. However, laser cycloablation cannot be used in albino rabbits. If left untreated in chronic cases, pressure-induced atrophy of the ciliary body may result in the intraocular pressure returning to normal

Oh, finally a topic I know about :oops:

Glaucoma in rabbits is different to the human version, because it usually isn't a hereditary condition. It usually happens in buns with already runny eyes (due to teeth problems, blocked tear duct, etc). The tears actually start building up BEHIND the eye rather than draining correctly. This causes the eye to bulge, and may lead to removal of eye if the primary cause can't be cured.

So...you really need to solve the cause of the problem, and get the tear ducts unblocked if possible.

Good luck

Amy

the vet checked tear ducts and they are not blocked and his teeth are fine so i am not sure what the cause of baileys glaucoma is. i have been given come drops to put in his eyes

2 possibilities:

1) it doesn't has to be caused by teeth

2) Bernie has similar problem, his nose is making noise, but not that often. So the theory is, the teeth at the top is growing into the jaw. But the x-ray is clean, there is no overgrowth

and it's no allergy neither

So in the end, it becomes a mystery

The thing is, if there is no guesses as to what causes it, do nothing, don't jump the gun

Back