• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Bunny Cages and Designs-advice

FudgesMummy

Warren Scout
:wave:hello all

i'm coming to ask questions about your indoor bunny homes....having afew issues with the quality of fudge's bedroom at the moment with paint flaking away from the bars and them oxidising...not impressed....his bedroom is approx 100cm x 53cmx 40something..awaiting to hear from pet shop in response to a letter advised by the consumer direct people...however all being well i should have money/the option to replace his bedroom

ive had dog crates suggested but feel i need to keep things as near to what fudge has now to keep him content plus his grandpa has made him some platforms and bits that i would like to continue using...any suggestions of good makes..the one we have the moment doesnt have a brand name on it.....its got a blue base with blue coated wire on the top, has 4 L-shaped pieces to lock the corners into shape when not flatpacked and came with a yellow hay rack....really do need some suggestions.

i can probably afford to put about £15 or so more to what was paid originally so can upgrade but that will be my limit fudge is also very good at digging in his littler tray and piddling up and over the tray so need one with a fairly deep plastic tray base....

many thanks in advance
kelly and fudge

What did you pay originally ? ;)

Do you have a max length to fit it somewhere? Trixie do a 5' cage which is 2' high so could have shelves added.

Tam

just short of £40.....it was a needs must at the time and didnt get much choice :oops:

I dont really have space for something that big and fudge has a playpen that connects to the side for his extra space when he cant be trusted unsupervised not to destroy the house

Ahh, in that case have you thought about just adding a sleeping box to the play pen? You can get some nice wooden ones designed for outside. You could couple that with a large underbed storage box for containing and messy items.

The Nero 4 has quite a deep base and is also 2' high and 4' long. That's about £75.

:(feels bad at not having alot of money to spend on fudge at moment.....i like the extra space having his indoor bedroom alongside his playpen gives him but also know that for a short time i can confine him to his bedroom if i need to pack away the playpen as he has space to play....grrrrrrr

he gets to run about the ground floor when im home to supervise however have found that during meals with friends a small bunny around your feet isnt safe for either the human or the bunny!

I'm sure he doesn't care as long as he's fed and cuddled. They definitely don't understand the concept of posh expensive stuff and cheap :lol:

There are lots of diff options if you are on a budget. Have a look at second hand furniture. If you get a nice cupboard, you can line it with lino, cut the centres out of the door & mesh and it can look really posh compared to a cage and be half the price!

Have you looked for second hand cages too? Mine was second hand a good few years ago and it's had varies different animals in and still doing well. That's an Imac one.

No reason you can't use a hutch inside either if you can find a nice looking one :) You can even paint/stain to match your decoration. It's indoors so water/weather/predator proofing isn't an issue so you can buy cheaper and it will last fine.

have you consider a dog crate atall? you can pick tehm up quite cheap on ebay.....my buns live in a shed....last year i spent a good £250 on double decker hutch, and run, and what did domino do, just chew away at the wood. this year i "upgraded" to a dog crate, and they seem to prefer it....not only was it alot cheaper but it's so much easier to clean. i leave the door open the whole tiem for them so taht they can run free in the shed.

What did you pay originally ? ;)

Do you have a max length to fit it somewhere? Trixie do a 5' cage which is 2' high so could have shelves added.

Tam

where do you get trixie cages from tam?just i'm after a good size cage fro two piggies (Sorry to hijack thread slightly)

i think it sounds like you have a cage called rabbit ranch or something similar
scroll down to bottom of page..we have a montana one and its the same price with a grey base and the same fold down top for storage!
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Rabbit_Indoor_Cages.html#a6628

the trixie ones great we were considering it....

we were also considering the savic nero deluxe 4......cheapest place i found it was pets at home online for £69.99

we have two little buns who manage to pee over the edge too and its them who need the cage! but we also have 2 frenchies free range in the lounge who live in a scooby doo tent....and the buck always manages to go over the side of everything ive tried with him:shock: lucky we have lino now in our lounge!
so we have also been considering for some time a double hutch with run under so we can put the litter tray there..easy to mop up and nowhere need their sleep areas..and attach a trixie pen....

please see thread of mine
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=131792

mmmi had a cage corrode and peel away..it was because of what i was cleaning it with and the fact it had bene out inthe rain for a few weeks after our bun grew out of it and we got him abigger one....it ended up tho being used for an unexpected bunw ith babies on the way that had been left on a doorstep..im glad it got a little use before slinging.
i now use a cage/hutch spray..either the keep it clean one or cascade hutch one or bob martins little friend cleaner from asda:oops:
i used to use good ole soap n water and my steam cleaner..too tired to get it out if the box tho now.:oops:

or it wasnt sprayed on properly...the coating i mean..if our old old cage withstood that then why couldnt yours withstand normal use..got to be faulty coating..good luck for getting an exchange or refund....it shouldnt have gone like that quickly at all:shock:

thanks purplebumble

this is the 2nd time the coating has failed...tends to go on the joins....i dont use anything harsh to clean it with.normally nursery/anti-bacterial wipes along with a gentle wash down in the bath especially when he is changing his coat.

i'm just in the dilema that i cant just take the cage away from fudge-and know there may be cross-over between old and new/ new/refund etc....i know im doing the right thing though as when i last had it in the bath i had blue streaks left on the white plastic bath! :rolleyes:

i am a stubborn person and willl get a resolve!

fudges set up is on the dining room floor-so wouldnt need a cage with a stand and his current cage hasnt been exposed to the elements whilst with me..unless there is a microclimate in my dining room!

Back