• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training help please

Cynthia

Young Bun
Hey everyone okay my bunny is not spayed yet she is still young. But i cannot get her to use the litter box sometimes she does but other times she uses it next to the litter box. Please help before my husband packs her up and gives her away:(. I always heard that when they get spayed that they will use the litter box better. Does anyone have suggestions. What you did to get yours trained if any of you have trained your bunny.

:wave:Don;t despair.....it takes time.

Although I have heard that litter training girls is more difficult than boys, but I suppose it depends on each bun.

Try putting any stray poos in the litter tray and if there is a specific area in the hutch which she wees in (i.e. a certain corner) put the litter tray there to encourage.
I know this sounds daft but initially try not clean the litter tray too much...it will get rid of scent and put her off using it the next time.
I'm sure that with time she will be trained.
Good luck
x

I've got 4 unspayed, very well trained girls - in fact their mom was so well trained she wouldn't even use her litter tray but held it all night and then made a mad dash for the drain on the patio every morning - poor girl gave herself kidney failure :(

Litter training - mine were all adult and never seen a litter tray when I got them - I gave them several large plastic boxes - the kind you store under the bed or put toys in - and only ever served them hay (twice daily) to eat in the boxes - so they had to jump in the boxes to eat, and nature took care of the toileting - as yours is a baby you can put the food dish in there too if you get a big enough box. They like to have paper based litter in there too - it mustn't have clay in as they do nibble on it occasionally. They do like to have 2 or 3 boxes each though :)

Also if you limit the area she has access to until she gets the idea - like a penned off area rather than a whole room - and put newspaper, or a bedsheet, or an offcut of vinyl flooring down there for her :)

Back