• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit losing weight

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
Mocha was a slight framed bunny when I adopted her but she seems to be losing alot of weight. I'm starting to worry, she feels really boney. Yet she seems to be eating hay, pellets and plenty of grass when she is out free ranging. What could be wrong? And how can I help her gain weight without Charlie getting fat?

Oh I don't know but wanted to bump the thread for you.

The only reasons I've known of weight lose before has been teeth or statis problems. Sorry

When was her last dental check? The first I know of two of my dental buns needing a burr is when they start to loose condition.

Watch while she's eating and if she tries to eat but the food falls out of her mouth again then this will be a teeth problem (hhappened with my old bunny). Best to take a trip to the vets , Hope it all goes well :)

Think I'll be making that appointment they do free nurse checks at my vets where they check teeth etc.. and if theres any cause for concern they call in the vet.

I hope its not dental, poor Mocha. Just wanted to get the opinions of more experienced bunny owners before the vet visit.

Vet check sounds sensible.
Would worms cause a bunny to lose weight? Just wondering. I recently wormed my two as a precaution but have no experience of them.

definitely get to a vet asap.....i had a bun who ate loads but still lost loads of weight, she was very ill :( if its not teeth, hopefully your vet could do blood tests etc to see what could be wrong with her. i hope she picks up soon.

Sorry to hear Mocha is poorly...her teeth were checked when she was here and were fine..
could make sure Charlie isn't getting more than his fair share of the food:?

Could try giving her some moistened porridge oats..and worming her and charlie could be worth it
let me know how she goes

You might want to try feeding them separately to make sure she gets her fair share. also, give them each an equal bowl of food and see who finishes first - if it's charlie, it would suggest that he eats faster so gets more than half a bowl.

Back