• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help

Kirst

New Kit
Hi Guys,
Hope you can advise please. Last night cat found a bunny (domestic but still only 8 weeks old i guess) in the garden, it was sopping wet and bleeding.
Wounds look superficial, and i have nursed it through the night and today it has eaten a bit although not moving well.

I have my suspicions that it belongs to someonw in the street who is not known for taking care of animals, given that the suspected owner has made no effort to track little bunny (apparantly they have a garden full at the moment), I am very reluctant to take little injured bunny back as I think it should go to the vets, which i would be happy to do and then take it in, but I dont think i should given that i think i know who the owners are.....

any ideas please?

Close your mind off, you only *think* you know who they are. Forget that thought and pop the little one to the vet and then see if you can find him a proper home... thats what i would do anyway - good luck x

Yeah, I am no expert but I would say take the bunny to the vet (might be chipped) and then keep an eye for "missing rabbit" announcements.:)

Honestly I would go and have a word with who do you think that own the rabbit. Might give you an opportunity to see how things are there anyway. And based on that call RSPCA or not.

I would never keep a found pet as losing a pet is so sad and worrying :(

I know it is thanks, these people are not the most friendly... if you know what i mean. I reckon i'm in the wrong what ever i do...

I know it is thanks, these people are not the most friendly... if you know what i mean. I reckon i'm in the wrong what ever i do...

Oh I am sorry you feel that way. :cry:

If you don't think it is safe just wait for "missing rabbit" announcements or something and if nothing comes up find the bunny a good home (if you can).

I think it is great you took the bunny in for now and give him a chance. :wave:

I hope you'll find a happy solution soon. :) It is difficult I know.

I hope someone else with more experince can offer more advice :wave:

Would you be able to/want to keep the bunny? If so, take him to the vets, get him better and never mention it to the people you suspect might own him.

well personally i would take bun to vet and egt him better then if any posters or people had come knocking or announcments were made i would try and get him back to his original home(it may well not be the one you think. also put an ad up in the vets and see if anyone comes to claim him that way you have done your obligation to not let him suffer and "tried" to find the owner. if i had lost a bun i would be knocking on the nieghbours first to check so if they havent even done that or put up posters it "cant" be theres.

I've just taken in a stray after being contacted by it's finder this morning. They have held him since Monday and after trying to find the owner nothing has emerged.

I personally believe he has been dumped, 'tis the season after all. :evil:

Anyway usually when I take a stray in I list them with the local RSPCA along with my contact number for 7 days. If no-one comes forward in that time then I get them ready for rehoming.

What about asking the people if they had a bunny missing because you'd seen one loose in the garden but say it hopped off before you caught it? If it's not theirs then it won't look suspicious if you advertise it as found (can say it came back) - if they say they have then it's up to you to decide if you should return it or just feign ignorance :?

This might be the best idea. If it IS theirs and they don't want it, they can just say it isn't theirs and your conscience will be clear. Then if you advertise it as a stray bun, you won't have to worry about them coming to claim it as they obviously don't want it anyways. If they are known for not looking after their animals, I would also make sure that I let them know that the bunny that I saw was injured and would require veterinary treatment.....that way you KNOW they aren't going to want him back! ;)

I am the same......if MY bunny went missing, I would be hounding the entire neighbourhood, knocking on doors, hanging posters, contacting all the local vets and the police, everything. I would NOT leave it to chance that either he would just return on his own, or that someone would find him and auromatically KNOW where he came from!

neither would I - i would have been out in the rain last night searching for it.

Well, I've taken it to the vets and explained the situation - i would "adopt" it and pay for the treatment, but that i think its owners are down the road.

I've tried getting an answer from their house - no reply, can't post a letter through as letter box all sealed up (yes, its true!) but I think i will go on trying to say to them I found an injured bunny and took it to the vets, and therefore give them the option to claim it, or to deny all knowledge....

So i've got to let the vets know what happens and they wil tell me how buny is... being a bunny person i got all empotional you see about it having a happy loving home and getting the medical treatment it needs...

Plus i think if you have nursed any animal through the night you bond with it.
I'll keep you updated, it was nice to have the support from you guys
K

Hi there.

I do hope that this all works out best for the bunny - I believe in fate, and there is obviously a reason why the bunny found it's way into your garden.:D So lovely that you care enough to put so much effort into helping it get better.

If there is anything you need for the bunny (if it comes home to stay with you), I will be visiting relatives in Faversham over the weekend and could bring a few bits with me (equipment/food etc). PM me if I can be of any use.

All the best.

Helen

I believe that wee bunny is meant to be with you.The wee rabbit obviously wasn't in a secure area to have escaped and if someone was that interested they would have been out knocking on doors,posters etc.If you want to keep the wee bun i'd phone the rspca and tell them your getting vet treatment etc etc as you are willing to keep the wee bun,they'll probably keep a note and if no one tries to find it within a certain amount of days you can keep the wee soul.Do you think someone could have deliberately have left the wee one there knowing you have rabbits.All the best,keep us informed x

I would keep it, nurse it and rehome it if I couldn't keep it - and also report the people with a garden full of breeding rabbits to the RSPCA :?

I would keep it, nurse it and rehome it if I couldn't keep it - and also report the people with a garden full of breeding rabbits to the RSPCA :?

My thoughts too. The obviously don't care about it if they already have a garden full. The bun is safe now and deserves a loving home.

Thanks guys, the bunny is in the vets, they think it may have suffered some nerve damage and brain damage, as one eye is not responding and front legs are not functioning properly, but told me they are trying steriods over night ... i'll call them again tomorrow and hope she's ok
fingers crossed, eh

Thanks guys, the bunny is in the vets, they think it may have suffered some nerve damage and brain damage, as one eye is not responding and front legs are not functioning properly, but told me they are trying steriods over night ... i'll call them again tomorrow and hope she's ok
fingers crossed, eh

Och poor wee soul.Hope she is alright,sending vibes.All the best x

fingers crossed, eh

Poor little thing! Lots of vibes on their way. Let us know how he gets on.

Vic x

I'm afraid to say that she died. Phoned vets she died int he night.

Interestingly enough the "worried" (not much!) woman came a knocking on doors today - asking about bunnies! She reckoned is went missing yesterday (no, love, the day before!) when i said i took it to the vets she looked like she was angry with me - could not believe it!! then i told her it died, with my sad face on, and she didnt seem bothered....

some people.

Back