• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Setup

sunshine123

Young Bun
:wave: Looking for some advise please, we're getting 2 bunnies soon and I have bought HH hutch/combo. Can you advise me how I go about setting up the inside of the hutch :oops:
I am going to make a roof for the run (shed felt, I think) and a removable cover that will cover the front of the hutch with tarpaulin but where does everything go inside:oops:
Does this sound ok, covering the whole floor with vinyl tiles,
BEDROOM - litter tray with megazorb/carefresh and hay on top.
MAIN HUTCH - hay in hay racks and bowls with pellets/veg/water and water bottles.
RUN - another litter tray and more hay racks/boxes of hay, toys, tunnels, etc, more bowls and water bottles.
Or should I have hay scattered all around the hutch and run and sawdust all over the hutch floor (or is vinyl tiles ok without anything on top and is the tiles safe if the bunnies were to nibble)
Sorry to go on and on :oops: but I just want to make sure everything is right.
Thanks in advance.

Its good that you are revising before you get your bunnies!!:D

I would cover all of the hutch with newspaper, this way is they wee, it absorbs most of it, then put woodshavings/hay on top of that. Bunnies like somewhere where they can snuggle into and get out of the cold, or sun.

Everything else seems fabulous. Good Luck with your new arrivals!! x :D
Jack x x

I have vinyl tiles with nothing on top (mine are currently indoor bunnies). They have shred the vinyl but don't seem to eat it. I've bought some more today, which I'm going to tack down at the edges, as they only nibble where they can get hold of it by lifting it up.

Is the litter tray in the bedroom for them to use as a toilet or to sleep in? If it's for a toilet, you'll need hay bedding somewhere else for them to snuggle in (I'd avoid sawdust as it can be bad for their breathing and eyes), but otherwise you can leave it bare if you want. It's also a good idead not to have the same material on the hutch floor as in their litter tray as it may make litter training harder to begin with.

It sounds like they'll have a lovely home!

:D Thanks for replying

So should I fill the bedroom end with hay for bedding and move the litter tray to the main part hutch and just fill it with carefresh or should I also have a litter tray in the bedroom (aswell as hay/bedding).
:roll: confusing myself now:oops:

Will make sure tiles are firmly stuck down and will cover with newspaper, just incase.

Personally I'd keep the bedroom area as a bedroom full of hay (and no tray) and put a litter tray elsewhere.

But bunnies tend to make up their own mind where they want their loo so after you get them and they make themselves at home, you can re-jig things around as necessary. If they chose to use the "bedroom" as their loo (lots do), stick the litter tray in there and just make sure they have a hay-filled box somewhere else so they can snuggle up if it's cold.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your buns when they arrive!

Back