• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding a giant rabbit???

Hi,

I have a continental giant rabbit that is now 8/9 weeks old.
The breeder said to feed her a rabbit food that is 15% protein or over.
I've managed to source a mix, Mr Johnsons I think it is, it is 15% protein but I wondered if this is enough??
She is having fresh veg daily, as all my small pets do, I have rodents too.
I give her broccolli, cabbage, carrots, cauli, green beans, mange tout, sweet corn. In fact anything that I can get my hands on that they will eat. My rodents even get cous cous and tofu.

Is there anything, other than iceberg, I shouldn't be giving her???

What about aubergine and sweet potato??

She is currently residing at my daughters house as we are in the middle of moving house. I didn't know this when I put a deposit on her to buy her.

Thanks for any info.

Flops

The staple of a rabbits diet should be hay, make sure they always have that at their disposal, and other than that about a cup of food mix with the occasional vegetable/fruit treat.

I think anyway. Not sure about giants...

there is a list of safe veggies somewhere.....i think its on the house rabbit societys website (sorry i couldnt give you a link!) try googling it!

some people tell you to be careful with veg thats high in sugar (carrots) and to give them as a treat. also veg high in calcium lke broccoli can give the buns a funny tummy.

introduce new veg slowly else you can cause bloat which defiantely isnt a good thing!

mmm id change over to allen and page breeders and growers pellets till buns at least 6 months old..my frenchie had them till a few months back and shes 18months old next month....our vet said to keep them on their baby pelelts tilltheyre at least 12 months old or as close to skull finishing growing as poss.

always loads of hay..especially timothy hay...mine only like the green one.
introdice veggies slowly.....

heres a list worth printing off!

http://www.adoptarabbit.org/articles/packet/abcvegi.html

this is also a very good feeding guide
http://www.rabbitsnrodents.com/feedingrabbits.htm

this is a flemish rabbit
http://pages.matmice.com/home/flemishgiantrabbits/

my frenchie buck is a small one and only 10lbs 5kg in weight and just over 3 yrs old

my much much bigger frenchie is massive and weighs in at 14lb over 6kg and if i dodnt watch ehr diet shed be on her way to 20lb no probs:shock:

both she and bertie have a dog bowl and they get about hlaf a dog bowl each a day..and a mass of hay....and handfuls or should i say heaps of greens....organic watercress rocket and spinach salad:lol: not spoilt:lol:

i only feed carrot nubs as advised by berties ex owner and willows breeder...and broccoli florets..berties tum is a bit sensiitve but willows is like a goat...!! always has been.

they also have a dog bowl for water which gets refilled many times a day!
yet bertie and willow had bottles before..they love the bowl they lap like dogs and quench their thirst quicker...and dip ears in to cool down..we had an uppy eared bun who almost do head stands to do the same:lol:

Thanks for the advice.
I'm going to look at the links etc.

My little Flops is about 4.5-5lbs already.

I'm getting pics tonight when I'm over my daughters letting her out for her run around.

I've read the diet links on the forum so I'm being careful with some of the veg etc.

She has loads of hay all the time.

I have put an automatic watering system in her cage so I'm not worrying about Anne-Marie forgetting to give her water.
It looks odd with a gallon bucket on top of her cage but at least she's got water continually.

Flops.

P.s. So is the continental just the 'OLD' Flemish then???????

Last edited:
I have two conti's that are coming upto 2yrs.
They have both been fed on Allen and Page, and so far (runs to touch some wood) have had no problems with their tummies.
They were fed A&P pellets freely until they were 6months, then given a bowl once daily thereafter.

Good hay should definately be the mainstay of any rabbits diet (upto 90%) along with a good selection of veg/fruit and pellets making up the remainder.

Lots of free grazing on the lawn is brilliant.

I'd avoid sweetcorn as the outer casing of the corn is hard for the rabbit to digest and can cause tummy troubles (found that out from 1st hand experience before I read good advice on here!)

Looking forward to seeing some pics:D:D

Back