• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fibreplex..any tips for getting it in her mouth?

flowergirls

Warren Scout
Following on about Bluebell's poorly morning and 'temporary statis' diagnosis from vet's we've been given a tube of fibreplex to give her- 2mls 3 x a day.
She's had the first lot, but I don't know if I did it right- supposed to syringe it in?, but we ended up syringing it onto a spoon (me and my 8 year old son, me holding her, he's not confident enough, too young), because she would not open her mouth - she did seem to lick it off the spoon- a bit of it anyway, but most of it ended up round her chops. Any advice on getting it in her effectively?

Rachel x

wish i had..bifs a tarter..always spits it out for my daughter...but when i had to do it alone as my daughter couldnt even sit up that day..i found that as long as i stayed calm and spoke t her lots i tip her on her back....shes weird like that it means medecine and bum checking so she resists less than any other way..
i just get the tip and wave it aorund her lips a little..she gets mad at it and bites at it and hey presto in it goes:lol: but the last bout of stasis recebtly she just let me squirt it in a little at a time and was so goood thats how i knew she was feeling real bad...i gave her two tubes in a row,she was them grunting fighting spititng it eberywhere..least i knew it was working!
her poos are still teeny but shes doing more so i know it takes about a week to 14 days to get loadsa poos....

my frnehcies and bandit thinkits a rabbit treat they can sniff it out a mile off i swear and when ones having it they all comelooking to get some:shock::lol:
not bif..oh no shes a little madam....i tried rolling in greens and hand feeding her..no luck...
i hope you have better luck....
btw i know you shouldnt medicate buns on their backs..i only do it to bif...since i got her from the rescue whenever i pick her up she curls up ready to go on her back from where she was so ill i guess...bless her. i do it carefully so she doesnt choke or inhale it...litle and often andlsowly works fine.

Ooh Elve - I love your 'add spash of boiling water' !!

I always smile when I see it. It puts me in mind of cordon bleu cooks! :D

I guess that's what we are to our bunnies;)

Thanks so much for your advice and links. :)
Bluebell took her fibreplex with a piece of apple today- I squeezed it on and she nibbled it off happily. She's a bit quiet today but not lethargic like yesterday- I have to go to work today so hate leaving her but hopefully she's on the mend.

Rachel x

really though, I'll reiterate what I said to Charlotte - they need water water and more water to get through a bout of stasis. Sadly most vets haven't cottoned onto this simple fact - and I guess they can't charge much for water :roll: ooooh yep I'm cynical :lol:

Back