• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit run

I bought a new rabbit run as Desty is insanely clever and insanely destructive. So my mum was at the wholesalers again and fetched a load of these back and reserved one for me.

Size : each panel is 25" high and 36 .5 " high

I've put them against the hutch on one side a wall on the third and my bookshelf/boxes on t'other, so it's three panels long and a panel and a half wide. I'm going to let them run around in that while I'm at work from now on. I think it's big enough.

Only desty, clever bun that she is, spent ten minutes in it before she found out how to open it herself. So now I'm after cable ties from my dad to secure it a little better. Question is, is it tall enough do you guys think or should I get some netting to go over the top?

I know they can stand on their hind legs and still not poke over the top. But I'm just wondering how long it'll be till desty attempts to jump it. Because if she knows she can get over it she will try.

I wouldn't trust bunnies not to jump out over 2' barrier. Are you supervising? If not you want proper mesh not just netting to keep predators out as well as her in :)

I wouldn't trust bunnies not to jump out over 2' barrier. Are you supervising? If not you want proper mesh not just netting to keep predators out as well as her in :)

i agree ive got a play pen but never trusted the netting top so bought some thick wire and now put this on top

Yeah It's indoors. You know where my sofa is? I put the hutch to the side and they now have like a third of the room when I'm not home instead of the whole room. Because desty really is destructive and has actually eaten the sofa and the coushin and somehow my cables on my computer even though I was sure they were rabbit proofed (They are now though as I've had to tie them all up and out of the way as well as the barrier in front of where they were.

So you think she's going to be able to jump over it? And that mash is too flimsy?
Ok, I'll have a word with my dad and see what he can recommend.

The run is basically so I don't have to confine them to their hutch, which I don't want to do, but Desty really does get very destructive.

I would definitely cover it. *some* rabbit lull you into a false sense of security by living in a pen for four months then suddenly learning how to jump out and frightening the life out of you. :rolleyes: *glares at sorrel*

Even with higher pens, rabbits can develop a remarkable knack for climbing :shock: I spent ages trying to figure out how Ben was getting out of the pen even after covered the top, then one day I was cleaning out the rats and watched him out of the corner of my eye take a run up, leap 2/3rds of the way up the pen side, poke his head out of a tiny gap in the corner and climb out :shock:

Ha ha ive got this and my Perry opened in within the hour! I secured it with acble ties to spoil his fun. Now he gets his own back by chewing on the bloody thing at 5 in the morning!

Lisa

i've got this and rodney can clear it, and he is only the size of a very small dutch. the night after his neuter i thought he'd be too poorly to even attempt to jump out, how wrong i was. So depaning on how big it is i covered the tope with a king size bed sheet and used pegs (and lots of them) to secure it in place. And it kept him in.

Problem is now, if he streches really really tall he can reach the top of the run so he spends ages pushing the pegs off with his nose. Then gets really annoyed as i go round and put the all back on again! :lol::lol:

Problem is now, if he streches really really tall he can reach the top of the run so he spends ages pushing the pegs off with his nose. Then gets really annoyed as i go round and put the all back on again! :lol::lol:

:lol:
Maybe you could use the heavy duty stationary clip things - they've got a strong grip on them and the tapered shape means he couldn't really get his nose under anything to push?
http://www.buy-stationery.co.uk/apps/shop.dll?R=KINKF01292Q&X=G

Back