• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
Going to get my 10 week old male and female mini lops their myxi injection tomorrow I have a choice between two vets and I have gone for the cheaper option when I have asked them about neutering costs they only do male neuter and its about £30 cheaper than my other local rabbit but they don't do a female spey so I am a bit worried that they might not be very vet (rabbit)savvy although I suppose it could be they don't have the facilities - the other one is quite a big surgery where the cheaper one is more of a small family practice - whilst I am having the injections what can I be asking to make sure they are rabbit savvy enough to do my boy rabbits neuter (I will be getting my female speyed at the other one when she is old enough)

Thanks

Last edited:
I think I would go with the more expensive one as it sounds like the cheaper one has limited experience with neutering and less rabbit anaesthesia experience which is the main thing I would be concerned about.

Maybe have the vaccinations done there but neuters and health probs seen to by the dearer vet?

The vaccs need to be done 2 weeks apart btw (Myxi vacc now and then VHD vacc 2 weeks later, never together if the vet offers!)

Good luck with your little bundles!

I agree with Leanne. I would maybe go to the bigger one as it sounds more experienced. It depends what you can afford though :?

If you get the myxi done at the cheaper one make sure they know to do the 10% intradermally, as many non-savvy vets still dont do this.

Personally I too would get both neuters done at the more expensive vets....if the smaller ones dont spey due to aneasthetic risks you have to wonder what GA they are using.

Thanks Guys

I was a bit worried I will be going to the other for the neuters definately! and Sooz I will definately check out the dosage before I let them vaccinate !

Back