• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

types of grass for rabbits

gil

Mama Doe
Hi-fed my bunnies some extremeley long grass that was outside my garage and they all loved it! i am now wondering which is the best type of grass to pick for them as there is heaps to choose from.

the grass i picked was long and thin while other types of grass seem to be broader leaved and tall so wondering if that would be safe for them too?

there is a lane at the rear of our houses and looks like a pretty good food larder for the bunnies so would like to know what would be the best to pick for them!

thanks!

Hi-fed my bunnies some extremeley long grass that was outside my garage and they all loved it! i am now wondering which is the best type of grass to pick for them as there is heaps to choose from.

the grass i picked was long and thin while other types of grass seem to be broader leaved and tall so wondering if that would be safe for them too?

there is a lane at the rear of our houses and looks like a pretty good food larder for the bunnies so would like to know what would be the best to pick for them!

thanks!

Going out and picking a handful of grass is an excellent idea - if only because I do it myself. Remember that grasses are a whole family of plants and vary immensely in their characters. If you have a selection of varieties available, do give your rabbits a selection, but try to given them a good proportion of the stalkier and coarser species.

The only issue I would have with the lane you mention is the danger that dogs have wee'd on the grass along the margins. I'm not sure I'd want to feed that grass to my rabbits even if it was well washed. Do you have a patch of wasteland available where you can pick handfuls of grass and away from obvious paths? People tend to walk their dogs along established paths so if you can get away from the paths you have a better chance of picking really clean grass.

Incidentally, a good armful of grass and a few dandelions each day = poo everywhere :)

there's only 16 different types of grass in the UK and they are all edible, but do be careful you don't pick it from somewhere that's been sprayed for weeds - weedkillers are targeted to not kill grass, but the grass will still have some on it, so try and judge if it's a safe area or likely to have been sprayed.

thanks guys forthe input! our lane isn't used by dogwalkers as we have a huge grassy area that goes the length of the street at the front of the houses plus a thicket of trees so most dogs are taken there. so i reckon that the stuff in the lane will be safe.

i also sowed some grass seed at the weekend in pots and shoved in the greenhouse...........so hopefully in a few weeks time there will be some nice long grass for them.

i think the longer the grass the better-they all seemd to love it and it made a change from their usual hay!

Back