• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cacotrophs

Marreline

Warren Scout
Are bunnies supposed to eat these or is it a matter of personal taste!!?? My two buns aren't interested at all. They never end up in the litter tray despite both bunnies being litter trained, so create rather a mess when stomped in and padded about the run. How can I convince them they are edible and nutritious?!

What are you feeding them? Chances are they actually eat most of them but produce too many and dont want/need them all.

The most common cause of excess ceacal production is a diet too high in protein. :)

What are you feeding them? Chances are they actually eat most of them but produce too many and dont want/need them all.

The most common cause of excess ceacal production is a diet too high in protein. :)

WHen you say too high in protein, protein from what foods? :D Just for my own curiosity...

I feed them pellets (top up each evening and change if dirty etc.) and fresh veg morning and night. How does this sound?

I feed them pellets (top up each evening and change if dirty etc.) and fresh veg morning and night. How does this sound?

Too many pellets ;)
What brand do you use?

Pellets are the biggest culprit for excessive protein intake.

WHen you say too high in protein, protein from what foods? :D Just for my own curiosity...

Usually it's from feeding too many pellets, Excel is particularly bad for it as it has a higher protein content than many other brands.

Don't know the brand as they're bagged at the local DIY store. So how many pellets should I give them? Must admit they never run out so perhaps I'm over feeding. Feel bad! Is there a rough weight I can go by?

Don't know the brand as they're bagged at the local DIY store. So how many pellets should I give them? Must admit they never run out so perhaps I'm over feeding. Feel bad! Is there a rough weight I can go by?

Do you mean pellets as in they are all the same, little brown pieces or do you mean Muesli as in a mix?

I tend to give mine a small handful once a day, all the fresh hay they can eat and a big bowl of fresh veggies daily too.

The more dried food rabbits eat the less hay they consume. Hay is very important for maintaining a healthy gut and good teeth.

Other reasons rabbits can leave their cecals are obesity, arthritis and dental problems.

Thanks so much for your help and advice! The pellets are small and brown - shopkeeper said the vets advise them. My buns do eat loads of hay and the boy loves his veg but his sister is less interested. She takes a while to get through hers, where as he gobbles his up quick (they're in separate cages as Stew - boy bun - is rampant and Dumpling is utterly sick of him. Trip to the vet imminent...!)

Thanks again. Here starts a new regime of feeding!!

Back