PDA

View Full Version : Cacotrophs

Marreline
28-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Are bunnies supposed to eat these or is it a matter of personal taste!!?? My two buns aren't interested at all. They never end up in the litter tray despite both bunnies being litter trained, so create rather a mess when stomped in and padded about the run. How can I convince them they are edible and nutritious?!

Sooz
28-05-2008, 06:07 PM
What are you feeding them? Chances are they actually eat most of them but produce too many and dont want/need them all.

The most common cause of excess ceacal production is a diet too high in protein. :)

jane28
28-05-2008, 06:08 PM
What are you feeding them? Chances are they actually eat most of them but produce too many and dont want/need them all.

The most common cause of excess ceacal production is a diet too high in protein. :)

WHen you say too high in protein, protein from what foods? :D Just for my own curiosity...

Marreline
28-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I feed them pellets (top up each evening and change if dirty etc.) and fresh veg morning and night. How does this sound?

Sooz
28-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I feed them pellets (top up each evening and change if dirty etc.) and fresh veg morning and night. How does this sound?

Too many pellets ;)
What brand do you use?

Pellets are the biggest culprit for excessive protein intake.

Sooz
28-05-2008, 06:12 PM
WHen you say too high in protein, protein from what foods? :D Just for my own curiosity...

Usually it's from feeding too many pellets, Excel is particularly bad for it as it has a higher protein content than many other brands.

Marreline
28-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Don't know the brand as they're bagged at the local DIY store. So how many pellets should I give them? Must admit they never run out so perhaps I'm over feeding. Feel bad! Is there a rough weight I can go by?

Becca
28-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I only give mine a very small handful which the gobble up in two minutes:D

Sooz
28-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Don't know the brand as they're bagged at the local DIY store. So how many pellets should I give them? Must admit they never run out so perhaps I'm over feeding. Feel bad! Is there a rough weight I can go by?

Do you mean pellets as in they are all the same, little brown pieces or do you mean Muesli as in a mix?

I tend to give mine a small handful once a day, all the fresh hay they can eat and a big bowl of fresh veggies daily too.

The more dried food rabbits eat the less hay they consume. Hay is very important for maintaining a healthy gut and good teeth.

Other reasons rabbits can leave their cecals are obesity, arthritis and dental problems.

Marreline
28-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks so much for your help and advice! The pellets are small and brown - shopkeeper said the vets advise them. My buns do eat loads of hay and the boy loves his veg but his sister is less interested. She takes a while to get through hers, where as he gobbles his up quick (they're in separate cages as Stew - boy bun - is rampant and Dumpling is utterly sick of him. Trip to the vet imminent...!)

Thanks again. Here starts a new regime of feeding!!