• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi jabs

Carol X

Alpha Buck
2 of my bunnies have just had they myxi jabs today and for the first time the vet just did one jab at the back of the neck. Where the last few times I have been they have done this in two jabs, one at the base of the ear and the rest at the back of the neck, is this ok will they still be protected?

I did question the vet but she seemed to flap a little, then later said that rabbits have very thin skin so it best to give the dose all in one go.:rolleyes:

they all seem to have there own preferd ways our old vet did it in neck half in skin rest in neck then last year we had new vet that did it in the ears, half in skin rest in ear rosie really freaked out as she only has tiny ears, the way her face went i thought if she were a hum she'd have fainted:shock: poor little girl hates the vets

2 of my bunnies have just had they myxi jabs today and for the first time the vet just did one jab at the back of the neck. Where the last few times I have been they have done this in two jabs, one at the base of the ear and the rest at the back of the neck, is this ok will they still be protected?

I did question the vet but she seemed to flap a little, then later said that rabbits have very thin skin so it best to give the dose all in one go.:rolleyes:

Our vet injected it all in the back of the neck, withdrawing at the end then injecting the last 10% into the skin, at the same injection site (He gave me a demo!) He explained that he'd rather do it all in the same place, to avoid unnecessary stress, plus it's very sore in the base of the ear. They still get the important 10% in the skin. Do you think maybe that was what your vet was trying to say? My vet was very good at explaining, and seemed to enjoy it, which was good! :D

Our vet injected it all in the back of the neck, withdrawing at the end then injecting the last 10% into the skin, at the same injection site (He gave me a demo!) He explained that he'd rather do it all in the same place, to avoid unnecessary stress, plus it's very sore in the base of the ear. They still get the important 10% in the skin. Do you think maybe that was what your vet was trying to say? My vet was very good at explaining, and seemed to enjoy it, which was good! :D

That's how my vet did my 3 yesterday.
I went to another vet 3 months ago & the vet that did Bert's jab give it all in the scruff of the neck :shock:he didn't bring the needle out at all, I questioned him at the time & he got flustered & said it was the correct way I do hope Bertie is protected now :?

No it all went in in one go. She did not withdraw at anytime. No 10% put into the skin.I'm worried now that my bunnies may not be covered.

No it all went in in one go. She did not withdraw at anytime. No 10% put into the skin.I'm worried now that my bunnies may not be covered.

I would call the practice and ask to speak to the head vet explaining your concerns.

State that the manufacturers leaflet for the vaccine says that 10% must be given intradermally and as this did not happen and consequently immunity may not develop properly you would like the 10% repeated FOC.

I would call the practice and ask to speak to the head vet explaining your concerns.

State that the manufacturers leaflet for the vaccine says that 10% must be given intradermally and as this did not happen and consequently immunity may not develop properly you would like the 10% repeated FOC.

Thank you. I might just give them a call in the morning.

Your rabbit will still be vaccinated, it's just that it works that little bit better if 10% is injected into the skin. I would get a booster after 6 months rather than 12 months to make sure he/she is still protected well. But I wouldn't go back to that vet.

I agree with Sooz..ask for the 10% to be done properly.
They will still have coverage but not as much as if it was administered correctly.

Ah, mystery solved!!

Carol you have received a rambling PM from me re emails !! :oops: :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's what I tried to email you :

It is possible to inject intradermally into the scruff, its just more difficult and relies on the skill of the Vet. The skin is thicker at the ear base which is why it is easier to 'feel' the needle go intradermally.

Your Vet probably pulled the needle back a bit and gave the intradermal dose into the scruff. If you are in any doubt give the Vet a call to confirm that he/she did so. If not, the intradermal part of the dose needs to be given again......FREE OF CHARGE if the Vet messed up!!

Janex :wave:

Your rabbit will still be vaccinated, it's just that it works that little bit better if 10% is injected into the skin. I would get a booster after 6 months rather than 12 months to make sure he/she is still protected well. But I wouldn't go back to that vet.

Thank you, my bunnies are done twice a year. Think I might just give them(vets) a ring just to be on the safe side.

Thank you Jane. Sorry I had forgotten that I was able to PM you. Phoned vets they seemed to think she had done the 10% in the same stop that the injection was placed(back of neck).I pretty sure she had not, as I watched very closely but have to take there word for it now, but will make sure in 6 months time they get it right.Don't think they will forget me anyway.:evil:

Yes you should have some of it done into the skin as well as the neck. My vet does 2 into the ears, and then the rest into the neck!

Back