• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much food?

Charm

Young Bun
I have 6 rabbits, 2 dutch, 2 english chain, and 2 dwarfs.

What I want to ask is how much Science Selective should I be feeding them. Two of the rabbits suffer from dirty bottoms now and again. They all get vegies in the morning and not too much. Their pellets at night. I read somewhere that somebody gave their rabbits 7 pellets in the morning and 8 more at night each. But it looks like nothing. May I add they all are bedded on fresh hay, so they have plenty.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I vary the amount I give, to suit the individual rabbit - although it's a bit difficult with the group of 4 and Victoria tends to be thinner and Primrose tends to be fatter as she eats faster than Victoria :roll:

Do your rabbits all live together?

The dutch are a pair so they stay in one hutch. The two chain and male and female have their own hutches. The two dwarfs (two does) stay together. All are housed in my hut. Originally I tried to pair the separated male and female. But the female did not like him one bit despite both being neuterd, speyed.

they probably don't need many pellets then, so long as they are good hay eaters - they need a fresh bundle of hay giving morning and evening, and they need to be shut in with the hay for an hour or so or they can wander off and forget all about it. If the hay's been down a few hours they have sorted through it all and they won't want to eat it, although if you 'fluff it up' a bit they will have another nibble sometimes. With pellets they probably only need about 20 or so SS pellets (2 level teaspoons) morning and evening - I find splitting the food like this helps them digest it, and it also means you can easily get them in if they've been for a run, as they are keen for pellets.

A lot also depends what time of day you feed them - I've noticed my rabbits will leave the odd caecal poo if they are distracted around 11am or 11pm - that seems to be when they settle down to eat them, so I try and get them shut up after their morning run by 10.30am, and bed them down for the night around 10pm latest.

they will also leave poops if something startles them, or if their partner pesters them for some reason.

Back