• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My First Foster - Wild Bunny

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
Hi All

I had a call from the vet yesterday as she knew I was looking to start fostering. Someone had taken in a wild baby bunny that their cat had brought in. He has been at the vets for two weeks and is now approx 5-6wks old. However, he has some nerve damage to his front leg, due to the cat having him.

He has had his myxi jab yesterday and is due to have his VHD in four weeks when he should be around 10wks old. He needs three sessions of physio on his leg each day and the vet has gone through this with me. There is a possibility that this may aid his leg but only time will tell.

So, this little guy is now my first foster! He is now all comfortable in a hutch and is currently being fed on Burgess pellets (as this is what vet was giving him), plenty of hay and water.

As Im a newbie to this and the fact that he is a wild bun, I was just wondering if there is anything else I need to be doing?

Regards, Ange

If the vets has had him for two weeks keep feeding him pellets but i'd introduce grass into his diet as that is what he'd be used to in the wild.
Do it slowly as you don't want to shock his stomach again.
Grass Grass :) (Wild Bun*nomnom*)

P.S. has he got a name?
Unfortunately i had a wild bun die on me a few months ago, and if he isn't named you could call him maybe my wild bun's name, only if you want.

If the vets has had him for two weeks keep feeding him pellets but i'd introduce grass into his diet as that is what he'd be used to in the wild.
Do it slowly as you don't want to shock his stomach again.
Grass Grass :) (Wild Bun*nomnom*)

Thanks for that Spider. Will try him on some grass tomorrow. Ive only had him since lunchtime and have been checking on him regularly. When I first brought him home, I let him settle in the hutch for a few hours. As explained in my post, he has a damaged front leg, so I have closed the stairs off for now in his hutch and sectioned him off to the top layer of the hutch. He has plenty of hay for bedding to keep him warm (his hutch is in a shed so is more protected), he has been eating his pellets fine and has also tucked in to a pile of supa exel forage. He's pooing and peeing fine.

I just want to make sure Im doing the best I can for him so any advice you can give in respect of wild buns is greatly appreciated.

Also, what was your bun's name? Ive been thinking along the lines of: Oscar, Bailey or Ziggy.

:wave: I have 2 wild buns. Have had both since babies - like 4/5 weeks old. One is now about 10 months old and the other about 10 weeks. The 10 month old one, Nettle, is bonded with my rex Barney (they are 2 boys but madly in love - is so cute - first introduced them when Nettle was about 6 weeks old and the rest as they say is history!).

Foxglove who is 10 weeks has just had to have her front teeth removed as her head/jaw are deformed and her teeth do not meet - and she is going to have to have regular dentals to keep the back ones down.

I treat them just like domestic rabbits - they have excel junior/dwarf biscuits, hay, pure dried grass, dandelions and spring greens and other veg.

I handle them lots so they are happy being picked up, kissed etc! :D

Back