• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas!

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Just got back off holiday. Picked up my buns from my sisters who had been looking after them. Too well i think as Duncan has gone all chunky again after him being on his healthy eating and losing two pounds! Anyway, since they've been back I've noticed the buns have been itching a bit. My sis has two dogs now do you think it could be possible for the buns to have picked up fleas. They did not have contact with the dogs but had exercise in the garden where the dogs have obviously been?

Just got back off holiday. Picked up my buns from my sisters who had been looking after them. Too well i think as Duncan has gone all chunky again after him being on his healthy eating and losing two pounds! Anyway, since they've been back I've noticed the buns have been itching a bit. My sis has two dogs now do you think it could be possible for the buns to have picked up fleas. They did not have contact with t.he dogs but had exeercise in the gardenl where the dogbs have obviously ibeen?

Yes it is possible.

I use Stronghold on mine, prescription only though....

It is possible as fleas can lay dormant in the ground just waiting. Perhaps more likely is that the fleas have come from hedgehogs or cats that have been in the garden.

Can you check their fur?

Get some cotton wool dipped in some water. If you can check their fur, look for little black dots (looks like dirt) if there is some there, rub the cotton wool onto the dirt. If there is like a reddy/orangy colour on the cotton wool, than that is flea dirt... ie, poo!! Take a trip to your vets if so.

A lot of over the counter stuff is not really effective. You have to be very careful what products you use on buns. You could try calling the vets that your rabbits are registered at and explain that you think they may have fleas, they will do you a prescription over the phone.

Am at work at the moment so when I get home I will have a check of their fur and see if I can see anything. It's actually my partner who has mentioned that they seem to be itching a bit. I will monitor them tonight and then take it from there. Thanks for all your advice guys! x

Back