• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is My New Bunny Pregnant?

**lexi**

Warren Scout
Hi,im Looking For Some Advice On My New Bun.
I Took This Rabbit In A Week Ago From A Neighbour That Couldnt Cope,she Was Kept With Another Rabbit For A Few Weeks Prior To That Which Was Thought To Be A Girl.
The Last Few Days I Have Noticed That This Bunny Has Turned Really Agressive Towards Me Grunting And Lunging At Me Whenever I Enter Her Cage.this Morning I Found Her Pulling Fur But Only A Small Amount.
I Have Had A Quick Feel At Her Tummy But Cannot Feel Anything There.
Is There Another Explanation For This Behaviour Other Than Pregnancy?
As I Was Hoping To Get Her Spayed This Week So That I Can House Her With My Male.
Thanks

Hi,im Looking For Some Advice On My New Bun.
I Took This Rabbit In A Week Ago From A Neighbour That Couldnt Cope,she Was Kept With Another Rabbit For A Few Weeks Prior To That Which Was Thought To Be A Girl.
The Last Few Days I Have Noticed That This Bunny Has Turned Really Agressive Towards Me Grunting And Lunging At Me Whenever I Enter Her Cage.this Morning I Found Her Pulling Fur But Only A Small Amount.
I Have Had A Quick Feel At Her Tummy But Cannot Feel Anything There.
Is There Another Explanation For This Behaviour Other Than Pregnancy?
As I Was Hoping To Get Her Spayed This Week So That I Can House Her With My Male.
Thanks

Well if the other Rabbit was not a female then 'yes' she could be pregnant.

If the other Rabbit is definately female and the one you have has had no access to an entire Buck then she is probably having a pseudo-pregnancy. Rabbits are induced ovulators and just the sight and smell of a male Bun can cause an Entire Doe to ovulate and go on to have a pseudo-pregnancy.

I would ask your Vet to check her over. An U/S scan should pick up a pregnancy if you are in any doubt as to what went on before you took her in.

Good Luck

Janex :)

With the uncertainty about the sex of the other rabbit it seems like it could be either a real or a phantom pregnancy. I would definately get her checked out with an ultrasound so that you don't get any surprises :shock:

Thanks I Will Get Her Checked Out Asap,fingers Crosed Its Just A Phantom,otherwise I Have Some Explaining To Do To My Husband...he Didnt Want Me To Take On Another Bunny,lol :?

Back