• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Bluebell is ill..u/d she's home!

flowergirls

Warren Scout
Picked Bluebell up about an hour ago. They said she had responded to treatment and was now eating, drinking and pooing. She has had 3 different medicines- and we have come home with a tube of Fibreplex. She certainly seems brighter, althoughh not 100%.
Thankfully the other 2 seem pleased to see her, never been split since their bond last year- I was worried about that-they groomed her and now are all snuggled up together.
She is not allowed any pellets tonight and I have to call the vets in the morning to update them. He said it was a temporary type of stasis possibly brought on by stress. :shock:
Thanks for the good vibes.

Rachel x

Last edited:
Is she sitting differently to normal i.e more hunched, or lying flat pressing her tummy to the ground? Is she reluctant to move?

Is she sitting differently to normal i.e more hunched, or lying flat pressing her tummy to the ground? Is she reluctant to move?

She is sitting in a fairly normal position, but yes, definitely reluctant to move, she's normally a very 'bouncy' bunny if you kwim?-I can stroke without her running away. Haven't tried to lift her yet but think I could.
Going out for an hour now- will see how she is when we get back.
Hunnybunny, I don't know about eating, weeing, pooing, hard to tell with 3 in together- should I isolate her?

Rachel x

When my rabbits present like this I automatically start to treat as though it may be the start of stasis.
If there is no improvement from that within an hour I'm off to the vets asap.

It is important to be able to tell if she's eating/pooping as if she's not early intervention is the key.

As you're fairly new to rabbit keeping I'd always err on the side of caution.
If she's still not herself when you get home I'd get her in the vets today as early as poss.

when Zinniea goes like this I usually chase her about a bit, to see if it's going to shift the wind in her tummy (which is 9/10 what the problem is) and leave her an hour max - if no better by then it is an emergency and they need nursing either from you or if you're not experienced with syringing fluids, from a vets. They really need painkillers too - plus it can sometimes mean they've had a painful mouth at the back for quite a while, and it's finally got too much for them and they've stopped eating as much, guts have slowed down and started filling with gas instead as the bad bacteria take over - so they may need dental treatment.

I don't force feed though any more - just give water and painkillers - if they are backed up with food in their stomach, they don't need more piling on top of it - that's what killed my rabbit Pepsi as the vet administered a gut stimulant and told me to force feed him :roll:

The longer you leave it the worse they get though - it's far easier for them to recover if you treat this early :)

Thanks
We are back home- she is just the same- she really doesn't want to move at all, and is trying to bite me when I try to encourage her.
I think I'll ring the vet.

Rachel x

Aww sending get well vibes. I would certainly get her to the vet as soon as possible, good luck :)

Thanks for your advice everyone.
Bluebell is at the vets being monitored for stasis :cry:
They were very busy today - it's only a little practice and had no appointments as such but wanted to have her there to keep an eye on. Probably best as it's my first experience of a sick rabbit.
Will let you know what happens.

Rachel x

I'm sure she'll be fine. I've been through exactly the same with Ozzy these last few days. It's horrible to see them Ill, but it's amazing when they come round! Ozzy is back to his normal mischevous self!

She's in the best place as a rabbit in stasis can go downhill so fast, but I know it is so hard leaving them there:(.
Keeping everything crossed that she's better by morning and can come homex

Gosh I'm thick!

Tried to add the -update- 'she's home' to title and I've deleted the original post.:oops:
Duh.
Some of you know what I'm talking about.
The update is now Post 1!!

Rachel x

Picked Bluebell up about an hour ago. They said she had responded to treatment and was now eating, drinking and pooing. She has had 3 different medicines- and we have come home with a tube of Fibreplex. She certainly seems brighter, althoughh not 100%.
Thankfully the other 2 seem pleased to see her, never been split since their bond last year- I was worried about that-they groomed her and now are all snuggled up together.
She is not allowed any pellets tonight and I have to call the vets in the morning to update them. He said it was a temporary type of stasis possibly brought on by stress. :shock:
Thanks for the good vibes.

Rachel x

another strange diagnosis from a vet :rolleyes: hope she will be OK now - have a look at catwhiskas thread about Princess for some ideas :)

Back