• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits In Rain U/D With Pictures Of Run

drpengie

Wise Old Thumper
Hello
I moved Splodge & Scrumpie outside at the weekend. They have access to the run all day, and are locked into the summer house at night. (they have a cat flap going through from the summer house to the run).
As it was raining I thought they'd stay in their hutch, but they didn't, they were out in the run in the pouring rain! :shock: Quite often Scrumpie would be just sat in the rain, ever though there is shelter in the run if they need it.

Is this normal and is it OK for them to be in the rain? I'm sure I've read something that said their fur will become damaged. Will lock them in today if this is the case.

Also they don't seem to be eating an awful lot since they moved. Normally they eat pellets and veg twice a day, and 2 baskets of hay. Since moving they have eaten just their pellets and a tiny amount of hay. They are both pooing, but not much. Normally there's tons of poo in the tray. Do you think this was because they ate out of boredom? or are they unhappy in their new home? They seem to have fun when they are in the run!

Last edited:
As long as they have the option to shelter if the want then rain is fine :D Their top coat is water proof and keeps the undercoat & skin dry :)

My English, Daisy and her little Dutch best friend Rose seem to like sitting in the rain- out in all weathers- wind will be practically blowing them over and pouring but they're out. The other bun Bluebell isn't so keen.
They hate the sun though :)
I worry that it lowers their immune system but they're fighting fit, and they do have the choice to shelter if they want to so I let them get on with it!

Rachel x

Mine sit out in the rain all the time, even though they have several places to shelter!

Is the run on grass? If they are eating fresh grass they will eat alot less hay usually unless they are very greedy!

my girls have more sense than sit in the rain, but Benny will just sit there - if it really slings it down he cowers down to the floor and looks really unhappy with it - all but 2 feet away from his nice dry hutch :roll: I dry him off with kitchen paper if he gets wet - if it's bad to bath them, surely it's bad to let them bath themselves? :? they also lick a lot more fur off themselves when it's wet, and make their hay all damp too - can't be good for them.

no the run is not on the grass, it's on paving slabs. I'm just worried that they don't appear to be eating much at all!

no the run is not on the grass, it's on paving slabs. I'm just worried that they don't appear to be eating much at all!

I think you are right to be worried - rabbits take 2 weeks to get used to major changes, and during that time they are liable to go off their food a bit. I would confine them to the hutch for most of the day so they eat their hay, as they do tend to sleep out in the run and forget all about eating otherwise - I shut mine in with a bundle of fresh hay (good way to get them in) between 11am and 4pm - it's bunny siesta time around noon, and then they start eating hay again around 3pm for an hour or so.

This is a picture of their run - with Splodge showing it off.

BunnyRun270508001.jpg

BunnyRun270508002.jpg

I agree with Elve as I also think rabbits are creatures of habit, and changes to their situation can stress them, although different rabbits cope in different ways.

As you're worried about them eating I'd be inclined also to confine them to their hutch for periods through the day, which I'm guessing is where they used to be before having free range to the run? Then gradually increase the amount of free time they have. Priority is to get them eating "normally" again.

With the rain - I like the idea that it doesn't hurt them, but I believe some rabbits just don't have the sense or knowledge (from living in a big colony) to know what is and isn't good.
I cover the tops of my runs with plastic so they only get slightly damp, not soaked.

As your rabbits are not used to sitting out in the rain I wouldn't encourage it as I think it's the sort of thing that rabbits need to build themselves up to i.e a rabbit that has always lived outdoors is generally hardier than one that has been more sheltered.

Hope they start chomping soon - they worry you sick don't they:roll:

Back