• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed accommodation in earthquake zone

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Totally random question:

When we move to San Francisco we'll obviously be in an earthquake zone. :? We'd love to get a house with a garden so we can put up a couple of small playhouses for the bunnies, but it suddenly occurred to us that we'll be in an earthquake zone and should the worst happen wouldn't the playhouses fall down? If they were indoors they'd be in dog crates designed to withstand high velocity vehicle accidents, but outside if the playhouses and then the fence fell down they'd likely run off. :?

Does anyone have any ingenious ideas as to how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

AMETHYST

oh heck!

Don't most americans keep indoor rabbits anyway? maybe it's for that reason

I suppose if you had wire fencing that was dug down deep into the ground it should withstand an earthquake

Yeah in America it's seen as a bit strange to have rabbits in a tiny hutch at the bottom of the garden, they think what's the point in having one if it's not going to be a part of the family - amen to that! :D We still intend to have the indoor cages but if we have somewhere with a garden we'd love to give them a playhouse to run around in and get some sunshine.

I suppose if you had wire fencing that was dug down deep into the ground it should withstand an earthquake

That's true - we could bunny-proof the garden with a well-constructed fence. I wonder if there's anything we could do to the playhouse that would help?

Thanks!

AMETHYST

oh heck!

Not if the ground cracked open it wouldn't;). I dont think there's been an earthquake in SF for many years now though, if I remember the tour guides chat when we were there last October.

As long as they are well put together they won't fall down. Wood is much more shock absorbent and it's got virtually no weight on top of it. If you were worried then a couple of simple braces between walls would prevent them falling inwards if it twisted.

Tam

As long as they are well put together they won't fall down. Wood is much more shock absorbent and it's got virtually no weight on top of it. If you were worried then a couple of simple braces between walls would prevent them falling inwards if it twisted.

Thanks Tam! I remember studying earthquakes at school but obviously we never discussed the durability of bunny accommodation in such situations! :lol:

AMETHYST

Daft question ... what about a galvenised steel kennel http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3 you can sort out something to go inside it ...... :?

Ooh Janice that's a great idea! :D I could get a large wooden hutch to go in one of the larger galvanised pens that they could be shut in overnight, and that itself could be tethered to the pen so it won't fall over in case of a quake.

I'm getting some good idea here, thanks for all your help everyone! :D

AMETHYST

The last earthquake in SF is on Oct 89, and before that was 1906. So there is no logic to worry about the next earthquake. Thru out the years, there are some very minor quake that you can't even feel it.

Back